Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery drain while parked or car in storage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery last Saturday with 6 miles on the odometer and 280mi range charged. I'm at a total mileage of 281 now. I've enjoying driving it, but I've noticed two problems. The first one isn't a huge concern as I know it will eventually get to V10 when I take it in for service on Dec6, the second is concerning, but I know I have low miles still and maybe the car is still adjusting?

1. My firmware is still v9 2019.31.103.1 28824e; no sign of firmware update to V10 yet. Did anyone else with a 2020 get V9 and have you successfully upgraded to V10? I created a service appointment for December 6th.

2. I noticed after my first charging session (at a Tesla supercharger) yesterday afternoon that the car is loosing charge while parked. I know I lost miles between 12:30pm and 5:00pm that day, but last night it lost 20miles overnight (temp did drop to high 50s and when I last checked around 11pm the interior was 60). Today I parked at work about 8:30am@191mi and by 5:52pm (parked all day) I was at 180mile and the cabin temp was 77. I got home at 6:30 with a range of 148, now at 9:46pm its 147. I'm keeping an eye on it to see what it is tomorrow morning. Anyone else experiencing similar issues? I have sentry mode set to exclude home.

It took about a week to get the latest download. You may see a small update .108 before V10.

I took delivery last Saturday with 6 miles on the odometer and 280mi range charged. I'm at a total mileage of 281 now. I've enjoying driving it, but I've noticed two problems. The first one isn't a huge concern as I know it will eventually get to V10 when I take it in for service on Dec6, the second is concerning, but I know I have low miles still and maybe the car is still adjusting?

1. My firmware is still v9 2019.31.103.1 28824e; no sign of firmware update to V10 yet. Did anyone else with a 2020 get V9 and have you successfully upgraded to V10? I created a service appointment for December 6th.

2. I noticed after my first charging session (at a Tesla supercharger) yesterday afternoon that the car is loosing charge while parked. I know I lost miles between 12:30pm and 5:00pm that day, but last night it lost 20miles overnight (temp did drop to high 50s and when I last checked around 11pm the interior was 60). Today I parked at work about 8:30am@191mi and by 5:52pm (parked all day) I was at 180mile and the cabin temp was 77. I got home at 6:30 with a range of 148, now at 9:46pm its 147. I'm keeping an eye on it to see what it is tomorrow morning. Anyone else experiencing similar issues? I have sentry mode set to exclude home.

1) Give it Wi-Fi and when Tesla is ready to give it to the car, it will come.
2) Yes. Sentry is a power hog, third party apps can be as well. No matter what, there will always a little loss. Don't keep checking the battery state, as that wakes the car up and makes it drain faster.

Recommendation, don't even think about worry about any of this until at least a month after getting the car. Things will start to make a lot more sense with time and usage.

Reactions: Arpe
Funny you say that, one thought in my mind is maybe Tesla did not qualify my vehicle for it since I'm not yet out of the return zone. I'm well under 1K and still have 3 out of 7 days left.

Yeah, I thought the same - hard to say. I received v10 before the reported "advanced multiple tap" action - not sure if that would work for you. It does seem to send a request out however.

I don't have v10 either its for early access people.

Your car battery will drain for a variety of reasons. If you keep checking it on the app your batter will go drain. It wakes the car every time you open the app. Also if you gave another app access like teslafi for example it will continuously wake your car on its own to download data.

Is there a way to disable Teslafi gathering info from the car except the vehicle is charging or you are driving it?

Shut off cabin temp and sentry. Before you go to your car turn on temp so the car is cool when you get in. My car has V10 and it was already installed when I took delivery end of September. I relied on Super Charging up until this past weekend. I would loose 1% for every 1 or 2 days of being parked in the driveway. When out and about with Sentry turned on you could loose 1%-2% in a hr.

Also change your battery to read percentage not miles. You won't be freaking out as much. Remember the harder you press the accelerator the more energy you are going to use.

1) Give it Wi-Fi and when Tesla is ready to give it to the car, it will come.
2) Yes. Sentry is a power hog, third party apps can be as well. No matter what, there will always a little loss. Don't keep checking the battery state, as that wakes the car up and makes it drain faster.

Recommendation, don't even think about worry about any of this until at least a month after getting the car. Things will start to make a lot more sense with time and usage.

I'm not terribly concerned about it, but its
Hmm..you have the 2020 Performance Model 3? With the 20 inch grey wheels?

When did you order and take delivery?
Florida?

You must be the first and only person gotten the 2020 P3D in the US. LoL.

Mine is 2020 Pearl White with 19s. No, there were about 10 stealths in the batch mine was from. I’m in the southern most delivery center in Florida so I wasn’t the first to get one LOL

Looks like it’s back to normal today.

Parked it last night with 148mi@6:33pm
Started it up this morning with 145@7:30am
Parked at work with 109@8:19am
Did 3mi for lunch
Left work with 96mi@5:08pm
Parked at home with 66mi@6:12p

Spent 1 hour at the mall, Tesla store let me use their regular charger box (28mi/hr) to charge since got up to 86mi now, should hold me overnight + 30mi commute and I’ll supercharge at lunch. Apparently all the Tesla superchargers have been removed from the Simon Mall properties for evGo :(

Looks like it’s back to normal today.

Parked it last night with 148mi@6:33pm
Started it up this morning with 145@7:30am
Parked at work with 109@8:19am
Did 3mi for lunch
Left work with 96mi@5:08pm
Parked at home with 66mi@6:12p

Spent 1 hour at the mall, Tesla store let me use their regular charger box (28mi/hr) to charge since got up to 86mi now, should hold me overnight + 30mi commute and I’ll supercharge at lunch. Apparently all the Tesla superchargers have been removed from the Simon Mall properties for evGo :(

Your vampire drain seems a bit high. You should check to see if there is anything turned on that is draining the battery while parked. If the car is never going completely to sleep you're going to lose about 1-2 miles an hour parked. At least that's the case with my car.

Is there a way to disable Teslafi gathering info from the car except the vehicle is charging or you are driving it?

There’s no way for TeslaFI to know when the car is driving or charging except by asking it what it is doing at the moment.

That’s what the sleep settings are intended to do - stop pulling the car when you aren’t driving or charging - but if you give it longer intervals there, it can miss shorter drives completely.