Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery drain while parked or car in storage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a problem where the car doesn't completely shut off after charging if I leave it plugged in. The instrument cluster stays on and the vampire drain goes way up. I discovered somewhat by accident that if I unplug the car and leave it unplugged overnight, the car resets and starts shutting off again. It comes back from time to time, usually after a firmware update. It happened a few days ago when the firmware updated.

I
Same here in Canada Toronto, my M3 RWD LR losing about 30kms per day while parking. Sentry off, summon standby off, multiple resets still the same.

I parked in the my house garage with decent WiFi signal,. I will try unplug anything connected to 12V tonight to see what happen.

I’m at around the same area. I turned off Bluetooth on my phone and sent on my car, lost 2km overnight (12 hours). LR AWD 2020 model.

New discovery, if I reset my car couple times before leaving car. When I woke up in the morning the left over km increases instead of decreasing. Really funny, it happened twice since last night. (With reset before leaving the car)

Now, I totally believe it is a software bug, and going to service center is useless. I am going to cancel the service appointment as I don’t believe the service center could do anything about it.

New discovery, if I reset my car couple times before leaving car. When I woke up in the morning the left over km increases instead of decreasing. Really funny, it happened twice since last night. (With reset before leaving the car)

Now, I totally believe it is a software bug, and going to service center is useless. I am going to cancel the service appointment as I don’t believe the service center could do anything about it.

May or may not be a software "bug". The range is determined by many factors, among them are temperature of the pack. A few degrees change the energy release a few small tenths of a % from the chemical change that occurs.

So when you woke up, the BMS was probably reading a slight different voltage across the pack, and adjusted the mileage accordingly.

And to think . . . I thought I might never use that degree in chemistry again. :)

May or may not be a software "bug". The range is determined by many factors, among them are temperature of the pack. A few degrees change the energy release a few small tenths of a % from the chemical change that occurs.

So when you woke up, the BMS was probably reading a slight different voltage across the pack, and adjusted the mileage accordingly.

And to think . . . I thought I might never use that degree in chemistry again. :)

My theory on this is that it is a software bug. Once resetting, it jumps out of bug area, and measure with the right voltage from the battery, and previous wrongfully reported voltage is recovered.

May I ask here what's the correct way to 'reset', or shut off the car, for minimal battery drain after leaving car? I was surprised there's not a button, or something to shut everything off, like a normal car. Yeah, there's no engine to shut off, but everything else is just like a normal car. When you turn ignition off, everything turns off, but you can still lock the car, etc. That's the way EVs should be IMO, but I'm just getting to know them. Maybe all others are the same. Anyway, that's one of my wife's worries, not knowing if the darn thing will shut off or not, and she's still on the fence if EV now or in a few years, when they become cheaper and better. Thx.

May I ask here what's the correct way to 'reset', or shut off the car, for minimal battery drain after leaving car? I was surprised there's not a button, or something to shut everything off, like a normal car. Yeah, there's no engine to shut off, but everything else is just like a normal car. When you turn ignition off, everything turns off, but you can still lock the car, etc. That's the way EVs should be IMO, but I'm just getting to know them. Maybe all others are the same. Anyway, that's one of my wife's worries, not knowing if the darn thing will shut off or not, and she's still on the fence if EV now or in a few years, when they become cheaper and better. Thx.

It shuts off by itself, including stuff like headlights etc, after it locks and/or with timeouts. So from that standpoint its pretty much like other cars. BUT it keeps items ON that you explicitly request to stay on. Currently this includes Sentry Mode (which you can also turn on/off from the app) and Smart Summon Standby (which sadly you cannot control from the app). These two items both require keeping the computer and some accessories active, and so increase vampire drain significantly. Anything else will be shutdown by the car once it is locked etc. Note that even if you leave one of the vampire drain options enabled by mistake the car will enter a "deep sleep" mode when the battery gets down to 20%.

It shuts off by itself, including stuff like headlights etc, after it locks and/or with timeouts. So from that standpoint its pretty much like other cars. BUT it keeps items ON that you explicitly request to stay on. Currently this includes Sentry Mode (which you can also turn on/off from the app) and Smart Summon Standby (which sadly you cannot control from the app). These two items both require keeping the computer and some accessories active, and so increase vampire drain significantly. Anything else will be shutdown by the car once it is locked etc. Note that even if you leave one of the vampire drain options enabled by mistake the car will enter a "deep sleep" mode when the battery gets down to 20%.
Current software has bug, even above two items remain off, and everything else remain off, it will still consume the battery.

Answering here to keep on topic in that other thread...

excellent thanks for answering all my silly questions. Now for the final dagger.

I know that 2-3 miles per day vampire is low. But you mentioned in another thread it’s possibly to get it down to 1 mile per day. What sort of outside the box things can I do to get it that low? It’s somewhat important as I don’t have a home charger and need t maximize efficiency

I actually haven't had much luck with that. I wonder about the reports along those lines of 1 mile a day (maybe it depends on how leaky your 12V battery is - though seems doubtful - that would be really leaky!). But here are the things I know of:
  • Turn off Smart Summon Standby, and probably turn off Summon entirely. Obviously no Sentry allowed.
  • Turn off Cabin Overheat protection.
  • Disable your USB drive (click on camera icon and turn it off, no red light). Unplug all other USB devices.
  • Turn off Data Sharing
  • Turn off WiFi before you get out of the car (turns back on every time you sit in the driver's seat again)
  • Maybe disable Mobile Access (I've heard you don't need to do this and it is a PITA so I've never tried).
  • Manually Turn off the Climate Control
  • Change your password to disable any third party apps
  • Manually Power Down the car (no idea if this helps)
  • Use the Apple iPhone Tesla Widget to check car status, rather than the app. Don't use the app. (There are limitations.)
I do believe that some of these, but not all of these, help. But anyway, for more questions on this it is best to refer to this vampire drain master thread.

I'll be away for a few days (3) so I'll finally have a chance to check this again and do all of the above! I expect I'll still be at 3 miles per day.

So I decided to take my wife’s ICE car to the airport because we were going to fly out for a week and I was worried about battery drain. My Model 3 sat in my garage and it had 76% charge when we left, sentry mode disabled. I never checked my app while I was away, until day 4. I loaded the app and I had 75%...We came back home yesterday, and I was still at 75%. Not sure what causes the battery drain besides maybe stuff being on in the background that shouldn’t because my car slept nice and tight.

So I decided to take my wife’s ICE car to the airport because we were going to fly out for a week and I was worried about battery drain. My Model 3 sat in my garage and it had 76% charge when we left, sentry mode disabled. I never checked my app while I was away, until day 4. I loaded the app and I had 75%...We came back home yesterday, and I was still at 75%. Not sure what causes the battery drain besides maybe stuff being on in the background that shouldn’t because my car slept nice and tight.
According to Tesla online chat, it depends on the outside temperature. If below freezing, the car will warm up to maintain the healthy of the battery. So what’s the temperature while you away.

>> 2. Make sure Sentry mode is off

Also there is a "Security" mode that get activated when using Sentry, so turn if off, otherwise your 12 V might stay ON all the time.

Note: The "Security" mode is only visible on the inside 15" display panel, not on the smartphone App.

I noticed some recommendation to use Race Ramps (RR-FS-10) 10" Wide Flatstopper

You could instead put some Jack Stand or 2-T scissors jack under the 4 car's lifting points to avoid getting your tires deformed.

91d8uKxR7DL._SL1500_.jpg
Those are a waste of money. I have a vehicle I park for 4 months every winter without a problem. Just pump up tires to max pressure spec. Modern tires do not get flat spots.