Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery drain while parked or car in storage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have had my 2020 M3 SR+ parked for 7 days unplugged. Everything off (including sentry mode). Only checked the app 3 times. Temperature range: highs in the mid 60's and lows in the mid 30'S.

The battery has gone from 56% to 10%. That is pretty much 7% per day.

That is a loss of 28km per day.

Anyone else have this problem?? It seems very extreme.

Try rebalancing the battery power management system. Run the battery down to below 20%, charge to close to 100%. Repeat total of 3X.

Normally, how long can a performance model 3 stay in garage without pluged in? This is a real situation for me. I live in a condo and park the car in underground parking garage with no outlet near my parking spot. I have requested a charging outlet to HOA but they are just sooo slow and postpone this again and again for over a year. I solely reply on supercharger station to charge the car. I am a student and have summer break and winter break. I think winter break is fine, it's only like 1 month. but summer break is 3 and half month. Can a model 3 really gonna stay alive after 3 months of not pluged in? any advice for my situation? Thank you

Normally, how long can a performance model 3 stay in garage without pluged in? This is a real situation for me. I live in a condo and park the car in underground parking garage with no outlet near my parking spot. I have requested a charging outlet to HOA but they are just sooo slow and postpone this again and again for over a year. I solely reply on supercharger station to charge the car. I am a student and have summer break and winter break. I think winter break is fine, it's only like 1 month. but summer break is 3 and half month. Can a model 3 really gonna stay alive after 3 months of not pluged in? any advice for my situation? Thank you

Expect 1% per day (more accurately something like 750Wh-1kWh per day regardless of the vehicle battery size). You really cannot leave the car for three months. Just find a way to leave the car plugged in if you can.

I own a performance and live in a condo without an outlet as well. So no charging at home but no issues so far not having a charger at home. As for how long you can leave without plugging in, my experience is, I left mine without plugging in for around 30 days and lost around 10% during that time. So in theory I should be able to leave mine for 7 months or so if I was to charge it to 90% and leave it unplugged. My parking garage don't have cell reception so I cannot check the car remotely which works in my favor since the car cannot wake up by an update and it prevents me from keep checking the car. It just goes into deep sleep. BTW, I don't use cabin overheat protection and sentry mode.

Reactions: ehacke
I own a performance and live in a condo without an outlet as well. So no charging at home but no issues so far not having a charger at home. As for how long you can leave without plugging in, my experience is, I left mine without plugging in for around 30 days and lost around 10% during that time. So in theory I should be able to leave mine for 7 months or so if I was to charge it to 90% and leave it unplugged. My parking garage don't have cell reception so I cannot check the car remotely which works in my favor since the car cannot wake up by an update and it prevents me from keep checking the car. It just goes into deep sleep. BTW, I don't use cabin overheat protection and sentry mode.

Thank you for your information. As mentioned about, you don't have a cell reception, did u think about installing a lte signal booster in the car so that it might get signal while parked underground? I am thinking to do it but I am not sure if it is working

I'd like to see the data. I would believe that after leaving the car sitting for days on end without disturbance. Very rare to see that sort of level in the first day or two. There are obviously a lot of factors.

I'm just quoting Tesla's claim; they say 750Wh per day. Seems safe.

I get similar results but I dont use sentry and don't have cell coverage so nothing to wake up the car

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I'd like to see the data. I would believe that after leaving the car sitting for days on end without disturbance. Very rare to see that sort of level in the first day or two. There are obviously a lot of factors.

I'm just quoting Tesla's claim; they say 750Wh per day. Seems safe.

Generally agreed, but it does seem possible with further conditions. This is what I've had to do to achieve a similar number (which implies ~9W average), decently below the ~31W Tesla implies
  • Disable the usual suspects (Sentry etc.)
  • Disable data sharing
  • Be unplugged & not charging (seemingly important)
  • Have healthy batteries, both 12V and HV
  • Obviously, no other loads via 12V socket or USB
Even then, the numbers I pull are in the 11-14W range on the scale of a week or so.
Further requirements are necessary if you want it to not consume extra energy in the first 24h, which probably gets one in the 9W territory:
  • Happen to not have a software update pushed (maybe disabling WiFi would work)
  • Not have been running AC prior to parking (this will keep the car awake and blower on for a while to get rid of condensation)
  • Not have just parked from a long drive (for various not-fully-known reasons, it seems to stay on longer)
I suspect the OBD-II adapter I'm using consumes about 1W anyways (thing stays pretty warm), offsetting my 11W number. It's powered 24/7.

I have Cabin Overheat Protection still on (set to Fan, not AC), but this doesn't appear to have any impact (parked in garage). Sort of makes sense since VCFront monitors cabin temperatures I believe, and it's always on anyways.

Some combo of settings above seems to have utterly borked the car's connectivity though, or perhaps that's a separate issue. It's near impossible to wake with the app. I've gotten home, closed the garage, gone upstairs, went to do something with the app, and it's asleep and won't wake via app (confirmed via CAN bus and the car not making noise that it's asleep). It goes into a deep sleep way faster than previously.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Generally agreed, but it does seem possible with further conditions. This is what I've had to do to achieve a similar number (which implies ~9W average), decently below the ~31W Tesla implies
  • Disable the usual suspects (Sentry etc.)
  • Disable data sharing
  • Be unplugged & not charging (seemingly important)
  • Have healthy batteries, both 12V and HV
  • Obviously, no other loads via 12V socket or USB
Even then, the numbers I pull are in the 11-14W range on the scale of a week or so.
Further requirements are necessary if you want it to not consume extra energy in the first 24h, which probably gets one in the 9W territory:
  • Happen to not have a software update pushed (maybe disabling WiFi would work)
  • Not have been running AC prior to parking (this will keep the car awake and blower on for a while to get rid of condensation)
  • Not have just parked from a long drive (for various not-fully-known reasons, it seems to stay on longer)
I suspect the OBD-II adapter I'm using consumes about 1W anyways (thing stays pretty warm), offsetting my 11W number. It's powered 24/7.

I have Cabin Overheat Protection still on (set to Fan, not AC), but this doesn't appear to have any impact (parked in garage). Sort of makes sense since VCFront monitors cabin temperatures I believe, and it's always on anyways.

Some combo of settings above seems to have utterly borked the car's connectivity though, or perhaps that's a separate issue. It's near impossible to wake with the app. I've gotten home, closed the garage, gone upstairs, went to do something with the app, and it's asleep and won't wake via app (confirmed via CAN bus and the car not making noise that it's asleep). It goes into a deep sleep way faster than previously.

Agreed. Just as a general rule of thumb without really trying, getting to the really low average wattage is not something that should be expected. And we know in the initial parking period losses can be larger for whatever reason even with zero climate use (rebalancing?).

The OP was asking whether he could leave the car unplugged for three months. Generally speaking, that seems like a recipe for quite a bit of stress. Would not recommend that, and if conditions are not optimal, it may result in bad times.

I know it is possible with various optimizations to really dial it down.

I didn’t see any data proffered by the person claiming 1 mile a day though, so I generally don’t believe the claim of 1 mile a day on average. Seems possible on some days, or through expert optimization.

Reactions: camalaio
My battery drain still seems to be pretty good. Parked the car with 252 miles Monday afternoon and it was at 251 miles this morning after almost 4 days. Perhaps the 252 was not accurate and it did gain some after I parked but still it showed only 1 mile loss.

I'm worried about leaving my Model 3 parked for 3 months in my garage. If I leave it plugged in, won't the constant charge damage the batteries? Is it safer to leave it unplugged and let it drain the car?
2020.12.5 is also fine for me. 1% loss takes about 3 days. Nice and warm here currently.

I FINK TESLA TEAM MUST DO NEW UPDATE ! IF YOU CAN PRESS ONE BUTTON THAT SAVES ENERGY AND CAN LEAVE YOUR CAR OFF FOR VOCATION 1-2 WEEKS

Hi, I'm considering getting a 2021 M3, this will be my first Tesla. I know the new models have a heat pump now, but I'm just still concerned about battery drainage/condition? I live in a townhouse, no garage. So it's outside parking. And only way to charge is 120v outlet in front of the house with an extension cord (parking lot is further away due to front lawn spacing).

Only concern is winter. We get pretty heavy snow, ice and cold temperatures. So I was wondering if it'd still be viable to get the M3 if I don't charge it for a few days (3-4 days) during those times? When we get heavy snow, sometimes the snow plow trucks take a while to clear the neighborhood roads. (I do have a lot of EV chargers around and 2 surperchargers, which are about 4-6 miles away.)

I know it's better to keep the car plugged in and charged every night during colder times, but with a 120v, there are also conversations saying that it'll actually be badder for the battery charging using such a low voltage. So I guess it's just me wondering if there will be enough mileage/charge to hold a few days in winter till I get it charged at a EV charger/supercharger.

Literally the only concern having me pause on getting one as a newbie.

You should not purchase any EV until your charging/parking situation improves. Not practical. Not what you wanted to hear, because you were looking for - its going to be okay, it will work. Might work, not wise to spend that kind of money to discover it won't.

Tesla will tell you, do not use extension cords. Others here will say, its okay. But you lose energy using an extension cord. And using 120V, with an extension cord in the winter - outside will result in either no range/charge increase or so little, its neutralized by the conditions.

Is it normal that my car can lose 3% for 1 hour before going to sleep?
Screenshot_20201129-133824_Chrome.jpg

Hi, I'm considering getting a 2021 M3, this will be my first Tesla. I know the new models have a heat pump now, but I'm just still concerned about battery drainage/condition? I live in a townhouse, no garage. So it's outside parking. And only way to charge is 120v outlet in front of the house with an extension cord (parking lot is further away due to front lawn spacing).

Only concern is winter. We get pretty heavy snow, ice and cold temperatures. So I was wondering if it'd still be viable to get the M3 if I don't charge it for a few days (3-4 days) during those times? When we get heavy snow, sometimes the snow plow trucks take a while to clear the neighborhood roads. (I do have a lot of EV chargers around and 2 surperchargers, which are about 4-6 miles away.)

I know it's better to keep the car plugged in and charged every night during colder times, but with a 120v, there are also conversations saying that it'll actually be badder for the battery charging using such a low voltage. So I guess it's just me wondering if there will be enough mileage/charge to hold a few days in winter till I get it charged at a EV charger/supercharger.

Literally the only concern having me pause on getting one as a newbie.

Charging every few days is dependent on how much you drive every day. But I would guess the 120V would be essentially useless in cold weather. Batteries don't charge very well when cold. The cars have a battery heater to warm the battery for better charging when cold. I would expect it would burn up all the current a 120V connection can provide leaving nothing to actually charge the battery.

Your situation is a serious one to widespread adoption of EVs. Owning an EV is easier than an ICE 99% of the time if you have a way to charge it at home, but if not, I think owning an EV can be a major hassle.

Is it normal that my car can lose 3% for 1 hour before going to sleep?View attachment 612891

What model car do you have? Is it new or an older car? Older Model S and X can have a weird bug where the car won't go to sleep after charging that seems to be triggered by a software update. I haven't seen anyone with AP2 cars say they've seen it.

But most of the time this is due to some feature turned on that is not allowing the car to sleep.