Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery drain while parked or car in storage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What model car do you have? Is it new or an older car? Older Model S and X can have a weird bug where the car won't go to sleep after charging that seems to be triggered by a software update. I haven't seen anyone with AP2 cars say they've seen it.

But most of the time this is due to some feature turned on that is not allowing the car to sleep.

Model 3 2019. I start noticing it lately. But is it normal that car loses 3-4% for 1 hour?

Model 3 2019. I start noticing it lately. But is it normal that car loses 3-4% for 1 hour?

Only if the car is not sleeping for some reason. That can happen due to some settings in the UI, but something else could be keeping the car awake too. There was one time my car took a couple of days to download a map update and it wouldn't sleep during that time. If something is downloading you can go to the Software screen and check.

Unless something has changed dramatically, the car uses around 200 to 250 watts per hour while NOT sleeping. That is around 1% per four hours on my 2018 LR RWD. I estimated the usage to be under 10 watts while sleeping around year ago. If the car is using 3 to 4 percent per hour, while awake, that would equate to around 10+ miles per hour or 2000 plus watts. Drawing at a rate of 2000W/2KW something else must be using power.

Last edited:
Unless something has changed dramatically, the car uses around 200 to 250 watts per hour while NOT sleeping. That is around 1% per four hours on my 2018 LR RWD. I estimated the usage to be under 10 watts while sleeping around year ago. If the car is using 3 to 4 percent per hour, while awake, that would equate to around 10+ miles per hour or 2000 plus watts. Drawing at a rate of 2000W/2KW something else must be using power.

Not sure about the math here (oh, and you can't use "watts per hour" of course, because a watt is a joule per second).You say it's 1% for 4 hours when not sleeping (which has been my experience also), then you say its 3-4 percent per hour while awake. Don't you mean 0.25% per hour, not 4% per hour?

I recently got a LR model 3. And I feel it's discharging quite quickly. Last night I parked it in my garage at around 7pm, the battery was about 298 Miles and this morning it was about 292 Miles. That's about 5 miles lost overnight. The sentry mode is checked off at home, and I wasn't checking the app every so often.

When we left the supercharger, it we lost 2 miles even before we left the parking lot. We drove about 6 miles and parked for about 2 hours with sentry mode on, and we lost 17 miles of battery. We feel there must be a problem with the battery, but wanted to check if there could be other culprits.

I recently got a LR model 3. And I feel it's discharging quite quickly. Last night I parked it in my garage at around 7pm, the battery was about 298 Miles and this morning it was about 292 Miles. That's about 5 miles lost overnight. The sentry mode is checked off at home, and I wasn't checking the app every so often.

When we left the supercharger, it we lost 2 miles even before we left the parking lot. We drove about 6 miles and parked for about 2 hours with sentry mode on, and we lost 17 miles of battery. We feel there must be a problem with the battery, but wanted to check if there could be other culprits.

I would like to know this also.
My car was delivered on Wednesday and I have noticed this phantom drain.
Last night when I parked my the car had a range of 71 miles.
This morning I just checked and the Range is 63 miles.
Where has 8 miles gone?
Is it the cold weather?
I don't even have sentry mode on.
I don't even check the app till morning.
So at the moment it's a mystery.

Same here in Canada Toronto, my M3 RWD LR losing about 30kms per day while parking. Sentry off, summon standby off, multiple resets still the same.

I parked in the my house garage with decent WiFi signal,. I will try unplug anything connected to 12V tonight to see what happen.

I have the same problem 2019 M3 SR+
Parked outside at work Mississauga I lose from 5 to 11% in 8 hrs.
Overheart off
Summon off
Sentry off
Checking app none

I have spoken to tesla a number of times they say it is normal. This makes no sence because it is not what the manual says. It is not constant, some days 1 or 2% but it's worse in the colder werther about 0 degrees. I have asked where is all this power going and they keep changing there story so clearly they don't know but I not happy about it and I'm still looking for answers.

Parked outside at work Mississauga I lose from 5 to 11% in 8 hrs.

That’s a little large but it’s chilly so need to be careful about the data. Any before & after pictures with temps, etc?

Change your Tesla password and give it ONLY to the Tesla app (no other apps).

Summon off

Just be 100% sure Standby mode is off.

If you have an iPhone, make sure to glance at the Tesla widget during the day, and that it says “asleep.” If not, you have a problem.

If all else fails, get a 12V monitor so you can observe the sleep patterns. The car should sleep 20+ hours a day.

That’s a little large but it’s chilly so need to be careful about the data. Any before & after pictures with temps, etc?

Change your Tesla password and give it ONLY to the Tesla app (no other apps).

Just be 100% sure Standby mode is off.

If you have an iPhone, make sure to glance at the Tesla widget during the day, and that it says “asleep.” If not, you have a problem.

If all else fails, get a 12V monitor so you can observe the sleep patterns. The car should sleep 20+ hours a day.

i have a 2018 LR RWD and noticed this issue recently. This evening it lost 4% in two hours. I checked the widget and it does not say “asleep” so I’m going to remove the usb stick. That’s the only change I’ve made recently.
I also requested service but can’t get an appointment until end of the month.

edit— went to remove the usb and noticed that sentry mode was turned on (but set for “off at home”). Decided to start with putting sentry mode into “Off” first and will try that.

Last edited:

I don’t think 5 miles overnight is too much.... that’s less than 2% for probably 12 hours.

Okay so I had to schedule a service appointment for an unrelated issue and I asked the service rep about this. And he had a few things to say. The first thing he said was apparently there are a few background systems that you can never turn off, including when your car is sleeping. One such system is the one that keeps battery the battery temperature in normal range in extreme weather conditions (hot and cold). If you're leaving your car out in the open, or in the snow or anywhere where the temperature drops significantly, you'll have a battery loss because the car tries to keep the battery warm. If it's parked in a garage or indoors, you'll see a lower drop. The other thing to consider is that the climate control and seat heating also takes quite some battery, so if you're just walking up to the car and then heating it, you'll see a significant drop the till the car gets heated. A solution for this if you have home charging is to pre heat the cabin some time before you plan to leave the house, while the car is still charging, which would save you miles on the go. The last thing he said was that the mileage was calculated at a usage of 230 (or 220, I don't exactly remember) Wh/mi. So keep an eye out on your drives, as to how much was the consumption. If it was significantly high, try to see what systems can you turn off.

• Informative
Reactions: geometro and Dre78
One such system is the one that keeps battery the battery temperature in normal range in extreme weather conditions (hot and cold)

I’ve yet to see any evidence that the car does this battery conditioning in temperatures that are typically encountered (-20F to 110F), when the car is parked and not being used.

I live in Southern California, so there is no way I would know, but I have never seen any documented evidence that this happens. Certainly energy is temporarily lost when the battery gets moderately cold (below 40F), but that is different.

Would be interested to see some evidence. You’d really need data from someone who leaves their car sitting in Canadian winter for a week and documents it carefully without waking up the car, or something like that.

In the end, it doesn’t make sense to me that it would need to keep the battery warm - not aware that temperatures above about -22F or so are harmful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H and Phlier
I’ve yet to see any evidence that the car does this battery conditioning in temperatures that are typically encountered (-20F to 110F), when the car is parked and not being used.
Same.

I live in a fairly moderate climate and I do keep the Model 3 garaged, so my only experience is with a few cold weather trips we've taken with our car.

With temperatures down around 0 F, the car never woke itself up and warmed up the main battery pack. IME, that only happens while driving.

I have left the car out in very hot desert weather (120F) and again, have never seen the car wake up and cool off the battery... again, that only happens while actively driving the car.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I agree with last two posters. Another question I have not seen answered is whether the M3 will heat or cool the traction battery if the temps are below -22F or above 140F for more than 24 hours; likewise, whether it makes any difference plugged in or not at those extreme temps? Even if the car tried to save the traction battery from damage, given prolonged extreme temps, it would not take long before the traction battery was depleted if not plugged in.

Last edited:
I agree with last two posters. Another question I have not seen answered is whether the M3 will heat or cool the traction battery if the temps are below -22F or above 140F for more than 24 hours; likewise, whether it makes any difference plugged in or not at those extreme temps? Even if the car tried to save the traction battery from damage, given prolonged extreme temps, it would not take long before the traction battery was depleted if not plugged in.

If the car was plugged in, it would make a difference because the car would not only wake up to top off the 12V battery but also to top off the traction battery. I don't think the traction is heated during the 12v top-off other than small amount of heat generated by the components required for 12V charging and the heat generated from the discharge of the traction battery cells. Top-off of the traction battery would occur after around a 3% drop (which would require heating the battery to allow charging). With a SOC of say 90% and charge setting of 50%, the car would not need to top-off the traction battery for several days.

In SMT I think there is a value called something like ActiveBatHeat or similar. I have seen it set at -7C but I haven't had a chance to look at it in those Temps the last two years here in northern Virginia. I am hoping for a nice cold snap where I can leave my car out and see if it does anything.

i have a 2018 LR RWD and noticed this issue recently. This evening it lost 4% in two hours. I checked the widget and it does not say “asleep” so I’m going to remove the usb stick. That’s the only change I’ve made recently.
I also requested service but can’t get an appointment until end of the month.

edit— went to remove the usb and noticed that sentry mode was turned on (but set for “off at home”). Decided to start with putting sentry mode into “Off” first and will try that.

got a call from Tesla— they said they ran remote diagnostics and that something was pinging my car causing the drain. It’s odd as I don’t have any 3rd party apps connected to the car.

He suggested changing my password, which I did (on the website). Will continue to monitor.

got a call from Tesla— they said they ran remote diagnostics and that something was pinging my car causing the drain. It’s odd as I don’t have any 3rd party apps connected to the car.

He suggested changing my password, which I did (on the website). Will continue to monitor.

If you've used Stats in the past, and your password you used has not changed, you don't have to be logged into the app, or even have the app installed, for it to ping the car. Another possibility is something like ABRP from a prior trip.

If you're still confused, or you don't believe Tesla, as I said earlier, get a 12V battery monitor, which relatively easily allows you to see whether your car is sleeping properly. It's super easy to set up.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Interesting reading.
2021 LR.
I’m in the UK and daytime temperatures are typically 0 - 5°C at the moment (approx 35-40 F) and my car is consistently losing about 5% of its charge while I’m at work. Perhaps 8-9 hrs today dropped it from 63->58%.

I have sentry mode off, I’ve change the master account password within the week and have no 3rd party apps.

Seems a lot of people are in the same boat