Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Drain while parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks - ever since the last software update, I have noticed that my battery is draining while my car is parked.

I always charge to 70% - and driving to work in the morning takes me down to 64 or 65%. Then - while sitting there waiting to fall asleep the car drops another 3-5% in a couple of hours. I have this data from TeslaFi.com.

Yesterday I hard rebooted the car, as well as pulled out my USB SSD drive (although SenryMode wasn't turned on at work) - just trying to eliminate variables.

It's doing the exact same thing today - how do I figure out why the battery is draining while it just sits there?

Matt

Any chance TeslaFi or something else is keeping it from going to sleep? A bad seat sensor and it thinks somebody is still in the car? Anything heavy on the seat(s) that could trigger occupied? Rear seats folded down and not usually down?

Hi Folks - ever since the last software update, I have noticed that my battery is draining while my car is parked.

I always charge to 70% - and driving to work in the morning takes me down to 64 or 65%. Then - while sitting there waiting to fall asleep the car drops another 3-5% in a couple of hours. I have this data from TeslaFi.com.

Yesterday I hard rebooted the car, as well as pulled out my USB SSD drive (although SenryMode wasn't turned on at work) - just trying to eliminate variables.

It's doing the exact same thing today - how do I figure out why the battery is draining while it just sits there?

Matt

Did you authorize any third-party apps to poll for data?

Also make sure it is not maintaining cabin temp, the mode for your climate control. If you turn it on via the app, did you also turn it off? I did that one time and I did not realize that it would stay on until I changed it back. Given the cooler fall temperatures, that would eat away at your battery...

@DaveORD Yep - for sure checked that - and I can see in TeslaFi that the A/C was not on.... here is the battery loss for this morning - 4% in 1.5 hours - just sitting there! I will turn off TeslaFi next monday morning and see if I get different behaviour.

upload_2020-10-16_9-59-4.png

That is way too much to lose over short period of time unless something else is going on. Sentry mode will not consume 4 percent in 1.5 hours unless bad is happening. Almost seems like heat pump or interior AC/heat or lights still on or something. You have done hard reboot right? The one with the brake pedal.

Normally I park inside a garage and no sentry, but just to try it out I parked in the driveway and turned it on for a couple of nights, and quickly learned how much of a hog it was. No way to use sentry if parked at airport for 1-2 week trip unless plugged in. But it was nothing close to that bad, it was more like 6-8 percent for a day IIRC, back in June. At the rate you mention, that would be 64 percent over 24 hours so something is going on.

I always charge to 70% - and driving to work in the morning takes me down to 64 or 65%.
Then - while sitting there waiting to fall asleep the car drops another 3-5% in a couple of hours.
I have this data from TeslaFi.com.
Yesterday I hard rebooted the car, as well as pulled out my USB SSD drive (although SenryMode
wasn't turned on at work) - just trying to eliminate variables.
Matt
I feel that the recent updates improved the sleeping mode, compared to the last year while I was travelling.
I have my car parked, unplugged for the past two weeks and lost about 4%. (the SoC changed from 90% to 86%)

I would advice to connect a small USB device (like a wireless charger with an LED) and make it visible from the outside.
This will immediately tell you if your car is a sleep mode, and in particular if Sentry is off or remotely weak up with LTE.

Note: I have a dashcam connected to the Cloud, so every time my car wakes up or goes to sleep I receive an alert on my phone.
When Sentry is off, the only time my car wakes up is when Tesla sends a message to inform me to download a new update.

I also installed a Bluetooth 12V Battery Tester so I can register when the the 12 V battery get charged.
The car doesn't wakes up when the inboard DC charger is running.

Also I can download the Battery Tester recordings using Bluetooth by walking next to the car without opening any door.

The recording shows that about every one day and a half the battery get recharged for about two hours, see graph below:

M3 12V .jpg

Last edited:
Just an update on this - I have been testing many things with the Tesla support team.

I have tried:

Turning off wifi
Turning off Data Sharing
Turning off A/C
Turning off Summon

They are definately seeing the battery drain 4-5% the first couple of hours when I am parked, but still haven't nailed down what is causing it. I will post the resolution once they figure it out!

Matt

I junked Teslafi when I realized it was causing a significant battery drain. Pity, I really liked the feedback it gave.
Check your sleep settings. I’ve had teslafi for 2 years on 2 different cars and it works great. Mine will sleep 7 days straight if I let it. Here’s 22hrs of sleep with only .31 kWh loss in 24hrs
5735842D-2497-4B75-BA5F-52A3F2AE461D.jpeg

Last edited:

Matt
I had the problem too. I got rid of Teslafi and only use sentry mode at specific times. It now loses about 2 to 3 miles per day Max. Before I was losing over 20 miles per day.

I could not get Teslafi to let the car sleep, it seems to be a bit of black magic, some get it to work. I switched to Tezlab and it seems to have no trouble letting the car sleep, even lets me know when that is happening. Obviously their computer people are more knowledgable wrt Tesla behavior.

@Barrygold - right now - I have EVERYTHING off, while I troubleshoot with the Tesla service rep. No USB storage for sentry mode, I changed my credentials on my tesla account (and turned off TeslaFi), turned off Wifi, turned off data sharing, turned off Summon.....

At this point it's been escalated to engineering to see what is going on.... More to come!

Matt

I have a similar issue. Everytime i park my car with between 61-65% left on the battery it loses about 3-5%. It doesnt matter how long the car is parked . I gain 3-5% when the battery gets to the low 40 percentile. Wondering if this is a balancing issue?