Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Drain

Basicbob

Oct 14, 2020
London
Hi

I’ve had my model 3 for 5 months and I didn’t have a problem with the battery until now.

I charged the car on Sunday and got it to 61%. Overnight it dropped to 55% which is not normal as I car drains 1% overnight maximum.
I checked the usual stuff like sentry mode and it’s all off including heated seats and AC.

I got into the car this morning and the battery was 40% I did use the car over the let few days but only for local mileage max 20 miles over the last 4 days.

I’ve checked the energy usage over 15 miles and I’m using 200watts per mile which I think is great.

the software is updated. any ideas on what I can do?

would a hard reset make any difference?

Cloggie

Nov 18, 2020
West Midlands, UK
@Basicbob That sounds like a lot of loss, unfortunately it can be impossible to find the reason going by other people's experience.
A hard reset after a software update is something I always do and it has solved some minor issues in the past. I have never had the battery drain you are describing though.

Alan J

Jun 17, 2019
Glasgow
Might be worth checking that you haven't accidentally enabled battery precondition for scheduled departure, I managed to do that myself a while back and had a similar experience, disabled it and all well now.

jmaddr

Mar 29, 2019
Florida
I was in the same predicament. I checked sentry, cabin overheat protection, scheduled departure, and didn't find anything that would cause my drop. I use Teslamate to log "state" and found I was constantly coming out of sleep at the same time each morning (around 740) which would indicate the car coming out of sleep for pre-conditioning but even with that disabled, I couldn't get it to stop. Further, I noticed it coming out of sleep every few hours and stay awake for a few hours at a time when, before, it would sleep for 12 hours or more each time.

I went the nuclear route, I factory reset it. No more issues. YMMV.

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
It seems to be a common thing now.
I have a suspicion that the 12v battery is calling for a snack all the time and the car wakes up to feed it.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC