Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I’ve had my model 3 for 5 months and I didn’t have a problem with the battery until now.

I charged the car on Sunday and got it to 61%. Overnight it dropped to 55% which is not normal as I car drains 1% overnight maximum.
I checked the usual stuff like sentry mode and it’s all off including heated seats and AC.

I got into the car this morning and the battery was 40% I did use the car over the let few days but only for local mileage max 20 miles over the last 4 days.

I’ve checked the energy usage over 15 miles and I’m using 200watts per mile which I think is great.

the software is updated. any ideas on what I can do?

would a hard reset make any difference?

@Basicbob That sounds like a lot of loss, unfortunately it can be impossible to find the reason going by other people's experience.
A hard reset after a software update is something I always do and it has solved some minor issues in the past. I have never had the battery drain you are describing though.

I was in the same predicament. I checked sentry, cabin overheat protection, scheduled departure, and didn't find anything that would cause my drop. I use Teslamate to log "state" and found I was constantly coming out of sleep at the same time each morning (around 740) which would indicate the car coming out of sleep for pre-conditioning but even with that disabled, I couldn't get it to stop. Further, I noticed it coming out of sleep every few hours and stay awake for a few hours at a time when, before, it would sleep for 12 hours or more each time.

I went the nuclear route, I factory reset it. No more issues. YMMV.

I lost over 30 miles overnight last week. Transpired I left my key in the study, which is a wall away from where the cat is parked. Moved the key upstairs and since then it was fine.
However yesterday I accidently left sentry mode on and it lost 16 miles overnight.. Which is far too much

Do you have any apps running? People on this site have forgotten that they installed an app so best to change your Tesla account password to ensure none are able to connect to the car. It's the first thing Tesla will ask you to do if you report it, so may as well get it out of the way. The best way to find out what is happening is to use something like Teslamate or Teslafi. You'll then be able to see if the car is waking up at odd times or not going to sleep at all. Neither of these will wake the car in their default settings. Teslafi is easiest to set up and you can get a 14 day demo, which should be enough to see what the car is doing. Teslamate is totally free, but you need to be techy to install it.

Hi

I’ve had my model 3 for 5 months and I didn’t have a problem with the battery until now.

I charged the car on Sunday and got it to 61%. Overnight it dropped to 55% which is not normal as I car drains 1% overnight maximum.
I checked the usual stuff like sentry mode and it’s all off including heated seats and AC.

I got into the car this morning and the battery was 40% I did use the car over the let few days but only for local mileage max 20 miles over the last 4 days.

I’ve checked the energy usage over 15 miles and I’m using 200watts per mile which I think is great.

the software is updated. any ideas on what I can do?

would a hard reset make any difference?
Similar situation here - tried disabling all the in car and app stuff that might keep the car awake, and restarting a few times but nothing helped. In the end I called Tesla - first time I was just told to try logging out of the app not just killing it on my phone so I did but again got 5-6% drain in <24h of not using the car. Second time the guy looked at the car logs and found “an ECU not going to idle” which was stopping it sleeping. Remote diagnostics were run for a few days and now I have had an appointment created by the SC, what for exactly I have no idea!

Do you have any apps running? People on this site have forgotten that they installed an app so best to change your Tesla account password to ensure none are able to connect to the car. It's the first thing Tesla will ask you to do if you report it, so may as well get it out of the way. The best way to find out what is happening is to use something like Teslamate or Teslafi. You'll then be able to see if the car is waking up at odd times or not going to sleep at all. Neither of these will wake the car in their default settings. Teslafi is easiest to set up and you can get a 14 day demo, which should be enough to see what the car is doing. Teslamate is totally free, but you need to be techy to install it.
Just to echo this - this should be the first port of call.

Change your Tesla password to invalidate any apps or websites out there that might be waking the car up, etc. Check the car 24 hours later and see what the battery reduction is then. You should be able to tell from being near the car when it is awake or asleep, too.