Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I have a 2014 S P85. I'm losing on average 26 miles parked. Summon not turned on. My car came with Beta Autopilot and Summin features. Never turned on, not even once. While testing I didn't open the Tesla app once. Car has only 74,000 miles. I think this is unacceptable. Average temp during test was 65 degrees. When new The P85 range at Mac SOC was 265 miles. It currently will charge to 243 mile at 100% SOC. Is my battery degrading?
Thank you.
Ron O.

@Penn - You have not stated what the conditions were around your observation of having lost 26 miles parked. You did include in your original post a link to an image of warning that pops up if you park the car when the battery is at around 20% SOC or lower.

Is this the situation for your observation? You've driven the car, probably extended distance such that the battery was warm, but then parked it at a 20% SOC or lower but not plugged in? If that's the case, then your observation is due to the available energy from the battery naturally reduces as the battery temperature cools down. This is not abnormal or an indication of battery failure, but just the nature of how the BMS judges the available, usable energy. This drop is much more significant at low SOC, which is why Tesla actually now pops up the display message telling you that you should plug the car in as range may drop.

If that's not the situation, then you've not really provided sufficient information for any of us to give you a reasonable suggestion on what might be happening.

If you still have MCU1, then having cabin overheat protection turned on can cause significantly more energy drop than if you do not have it enabled.

If you parked the car with relatively high SOC, then some owners with older 85 models now experience the battery cooling system running virtually all the time when parked. That's typically at SOC above 80%, but seems to vary based upon the car and battery pack with having seen one owner comment that for them the cooling system stays on when SOC is over 75%.

Can be other possible explanations, but again, need fuller description of the specific circumstances to help provide intelligent guidance.

@Penn - You have not stated what the conditions were around your observation of having lost 26 miles parked. You did include in your original post a link to an image of warning that pops up if you park the car when the battery is at around 20% SOC or lower.

Is this the situation for your observation? You've driven the car, probably extended distance such that the battery was warm, but then parked it at a 20% SOC or lower but not plugged in? If that's the case, then your observation is due to the available energy from the battery naturally reduces as the battery temperature cools down. This is not abnormal or an indication of battery failure, but just the nature of how the BMS judges the available, usable energy. This drop is much more significant at low SOC, which is why Tesla actually now pops up the display message telling you that you should plug the car in as range may drop.

If that's not the situation, then you've not really provided sufficient information for any of us to give you a reasonable suggestion on what might be happening.

If you still have MCU1, then having cabin overheat protection turned on can cause significantly more energy drop than if you do not have it enabled.

If you parked the car with relatively high SOC, then some owners with older 85 models now experience the battery cooling system running virtually all the time when parked. That's typically at SOC above 80%, but seems to vary based upon the car and battery pack with having seen one owner comment that for them the cooling system stays on when SOC is over 75%.

Can be other possible explanations, but again, need fuller description of the specific circumstances to help provide intelligent guidance.
I can fully charge the battery, parked, and 24 hours later under optimal weather conditions, lose 20-26 miles. I think that's far too much given the low miles on the car

I can fully charge the battery, parked, and 24 hours later under optimal weather conditions, lose 20-26 miles. I think that's far too much given the low miles on the car
If you are fully charging the car, meaning to 100%, then you may very likely be experiencing the situation where the battery cooling system is running continuously. This is something which gets reported for older 85 packs where Tesla enabled much more aggressive active managing of the battery temperature through active cooling when at high SOC. If this is what's happening, you should be able to hear the cooling loop continuing to run after the car has been parked for a period of time. You also should see a marked difference in parasitic energy and mile loss if you instead charge to 70% and park the car overnight.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
In addition to not letting car sit at 100%, I believe there is setting on 2014 that keeps car more “awake” for fast mobile app response. Try turning that off, and then don’t check car overnight via app to see if it’s going to sleep properly. Also let us know if you upgraded to MCU2.

If you are fully charging the car, meaning to 100%, then you may very likely be experiencing the situation where the battery cooling system is running continuously. This is something which gets reported for older 85 packs where Tesla enabled much more aggressive active managing of the battery temperature through active cooling when at high SOC. If this is what's happening, you should be able to hear the cooling loop continuing to run after the car has been parked for a period of time. You also should see a marked difference in parasitic energy and mile loss if you instead charge to 70% and park the car overnight.
I'll try and charge to 70% next time and if any change. Thank you

In addition to not letting car sit at 100%, I believe there is setting on 2014 that keeps car more “awake” for fast mobile app response. Try turning that off, and then don’t check car overnight via app to see if it’s going to sleep properly. Also let us know if you upgraded to MCU2.
Haven't seen any sort of setting that is for fast mobile access or keeps car week. Any chance you can pinpoint that?
Thank you

I believe there is setting on 2014 that keeps car more “awake” for fast mobile app response. Try turning that off, and then don’t check car overnight via app to see if it’s going to sleep properly. Also let us know if you upgraded to MCU2.

Haven't seen any sort of setting that is for fast mobile access or keeps car week. Any chance you can pinpoint that?
Thank you
I believe the settings that @SoCal Buzz is referencing are actually two that were call Energy Saving and Always Connected. These are unique settings to MCU1 and do not show up anymore for MCU2. My memory is these are under the Controls > Display tab, but I no longer have MCU1 and they might have moved if you've updated to the v11 software.

Energy savings allows the car to go to sleep sooner/more aggressively during the day. The benefit is you'll see less parasitic energy loss during the day, but the car will take longer to wake up when you first get into the car to drive. Always connected is a separate setting that will allow the car to be more responsive to the mobile app (or third party tools that ping the car over the API). When I had MCU1 I would leave energy savings ON and Always Connected to ON. This gave me a good balance of still being able to easily connect with the app if I needed to use it but help reduce my daytime parasitic energy loss a bit. I typically open my rear driver side door first to load my backpack or other items before I open the drivers door, so this would start the car waking up before I got in and the added start-up delay was not an issue most times.

I actually doubt this is your issue as even with Energy Savings OFF the car will still go to sleep overnight, so if you're seeing significant parasitic energy loss overnight, this would not be a factor. Everything you've indicated and what I know about behaviors of older 85 vintage cars is you're seeing the battery cooling/thermal management system running all the time when the car is off due to leaving it parked at very high SOC.

Just my two cents worth. Enjoy your cars.

• Helpful
I believe the settings that @SoCal Buzz is referencing are actually two that were call Energy Saving and Always Connected. These are unique settings to MCU1 and do not show up anymore for MCU2. My memory is these are under the Controls > Display tab, but I no longer have MCU1 and they might have moved if you've updated to the v11 software.

Energy savings allows the car to go to sleep sooner/more aggressively during the day. The benefit is you'll see less parasitic energy loss during the day, but the car will take longer to wake up when you first get into the car to drive. Always connected is a separate setting that will allow the car to be more responsive to the mobile app (or third party tools that ping the car over the API). When I had MCU1 I would leave energy savings ON and Always Connected to ON. This gave me a good balance of still being able to easily connect with the app if I needed to use it but help reduce my daytime parasitic energy loss a bit. I typically open my rear driver side door first to load my backpack or other items before I open the drivers door, so this would start the car waking up before I got in and the added start-up delay was not an issue most times.

I actually doubt this is your issue as even with Energy Savings OFF the car will still go to sleep overnight, so if you're seeing significant parasitic energy loss overnight, this would not be a factor. Everything you've indicated and what I know about behaviors of older 85 vintage cars is you're seeing the battery cooling/thermal management system running all the time when the car is off due to leaving it parked at very high SOC.

Just my two cents worth. Enjoy your cars.
Energy savings mode turned on. Always Connected turned off.
Car just charged to 7O% with 171 miles.
It is 8:15 pm EST. We'll see what it's at tomorrow same time. Hope we get a clearer picture of what is going on. Thanks to all.

Is your car sitting outside by any chance, or someplace hot? I don’t recall if 2014 has Cabin Overheat Protection, which would run AC periodically and use a lot of energy.

Maybe check your rated range after 12 hours instead to evaluate phantom drain.

Sits under car port. Does have cabin overheat protection.

Here's the results from sitting for 24 hrs. Not plugged in, no auto update enabled, no summon, didn't check Tesla app even once.

Low and behold. Only lost 1 mile and went from 70% charge to 69% !!!
First time ever!!! Wow. Wish I had a logical answer as to why it lost almost no miles and percentage rate.