Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery drainage while plugged in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

The weather is cold and I usually charge at 5 or 6am. I charge to 60 and 70%. Lately, with the cold weather, my car has lost as much as 3% within 2 hours of charging starting. The car is in a non-heated garage. I don't remember happening this last year, but my concern is that I thought the car drew power from the house instead of the battery. Is this normal behavior? Some new software update?

I've noticed some strange charging behavior since I got v10. The weather doesn't seem to matter, because sometimes I'll come out to my car, and I've lost 12-15 miles since the charge finished, and the car will be charging again. It will have been plugged in the entire time, so yeah, there was vampire drain while plugged in. Other times, I'll get to the car with it fully charged. I've had my car well over a year and have never noticed anything like this before. Do you have V10?

It does not draw power (or trickle charge) when plugged in once the charge completes (or before charge starts [same thing]).

If the battery drops a certain amount it will start another charge cycle.

If you pre-heat I believe it will use shore power. And possibly some other accessories.

If the LED on the Wall Connector or UMC does not show energy flowing in, The car is pulling absolutely nothing.

The whole happy Tesla is a plugged in Tesla is a bit miss leading. It’s purpose is to top off daily to your desired charge level and long term it will start charge cycles. But it does not really cover nightly vampire drain.

Note that the Model 3 does some weird *sugar* when it gets cold. Like keep itself awake for 6 hours every 24 hours to prevent charge port from freezing.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Is sentry mode on?
It is common for the range to change a little after charging stops. The battery is cooling down and effective capacity drops. Unless you are storing your car in the garage for long times, you may want to think about increasing your charging percent. In the winter you are going to need about 30% more battery to cover the cold.

Is sentry mode on?
It is common for the range to change a little after charging stops. The battery is cooling down and effective capacity drops. Unless you are storing your car in the garage for long times, you may want to think about increasing your charging percent. In the winter you are going to need about 30% more battery to cover the cold.
Not at home in the garage.
I got a new update tonight so maybe that will fix it. Yes, once it's freezing temperatures, I'll probably bump it up to 80%.