TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Battery drainage

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by Mazari4life, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Mazari4life

Mazari4life Member

Hello

The first month and half my model 3 would lose 2-5 Miles if I don’t use my car within 24 hours ( temperature around 85). I took it for service last month and now I notice 10-15 miles off over 24 hours. Nothing has changed except it’s been raining and temperature is around 80.

I was wondering maybe the service center turned something on that maybe shouldn’t be on?

Any ideas?

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Perfectly fine Nothing to worry about ..it’s common during service for battery to go down as they test or work on vehicle it’s not plugged in all the time ..

3. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I think the OP is saying that after the service appointment occurred his default vampire loss is now 10-15 mi/24 hours instead of the previous rate of 2-5.

If I'm understanding the OP correctly, the first things I would examine are the energy savings and connection settings to see if they were inadvertently changed during the service call.

4. Mazari4life

Mazari4life Member

Yes that’s what I am referring to. How do check the settings and fix it ?

5. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

It is very possible that the SC updated the version that the car was running and you may now be seeing the car keeping itself cool. This can be disabled.

6. Marsnaut

Marsnaut Member

Shows up in settings as Cabin Overheat Protection.

7. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

Don't these setting not yet exist in the Model 3? (They're not mentioned in the latest online manual and I haven't yet seen anything anywhere else to indicate otherwise.)

8. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Color me embarrassed. I overlooked the fact that OP was talking about his Model 3. :oops:

• Funny x 1
  9. Mazari4life

Mazari4life Member

Yea I do not see anything in the setting to change. Any other thoughts and suggestions? Yes this is under model 3 forum.

10. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

As far as I understand it, all you can do is make sure Cabin Overheat Protection is off (this vid shows where it is in the menu: ) and make sure you don't have any 3rd-party Tesla apps that could be pinging the car and keeping it awake.

If you're still seeing high vampire losses after that, you could complain to a service center, but they'll probably tell you that it's "normal".

Beyond that, maybe tweeting at Elon in all caps would help. ;):p Or just pray that Tesla eventually gets its s*** together and actually resolves this issue.

• Disagree x 1
  11. Mazari4life

Mazari4life Member

10-15miles is about how much charge I lose. That’s actually more than my commute (5miles). What is crazy is that I lose that much overnight when temperature is around mid 70s and parking in the garage at work.

Thanks for sharing the video.

12. Mazari4life

Mazari4life Member

Update:

Turning off the cabin overhead protection is not the solution. It’s been off and today lost 10miles parked in a garage over 12 hours (temp around 85-90 outside). Any other thoughts?

13. AZatul

AZatul Member

What version of firmware do you have on the car? I had 24.7 after my last SC visit a couple of weeks ago and I was having similar issues to you(though not so extreme). I just got updated to 26.3 an hour ago and others have said this update helps vampire drain. Will let you know if it helps me.

If not, I would make an appointment at a service center. Others have said they load a battery management system boot loader which fixes the issue.

14. Mazari4life

Mazari4life Member

The new update took care of the issue. It had me worried for few weeks

Thank you all for the feedbacks

• Like x 2
  15. gbrgbr

gbrgbr Member

my m3 has been parked for 13 days - range loss = 10 miles

• Like x 1
  16. miltymoots

miltymoots Member

I'm losing about 6 miles every 24 hours, not sure if cabin protection is on/off. 2018.26.3 firmware, checking once every 12 hours from iPhone app. Parked in covered garage, cabin temp ~85F

17. Mazari4life

Mazari4life Member

Expect to lose about 6 miles if the cabin protection is on. Mine was losing 8-15 with cabin protection off. The update fixed it.

18. miltymoots

miltymoots Member

I actually only lost 3 miles in 24 hours. I checked after 12 hours and had lost 3, so assumed 6. But when I woke up another 12 hours later I hadn't lost anymore miles over night.