Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery draine to 0% at a body shop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I think posts about drained battery might be aplenty but my experience seems little unusual based on my forum searches, so here it goes..

My Model 3 LR RWD got rear ended (other side admitted liability) and car was put into a body shop in San Jose, CA back in early December. My car's charge state was ~35% when it was brought in. Since then due to various reasons the repair was delayed and from early January, App notifications started coming in saying that battery charge was critically low. I forwarded info to the bodyshop and heard that battery was already disconnected and thus there is no need to worry. Then about a week ago App again sent a notification, this time showing a charging session has begun from battery state of 0, and another one about 30min after that charging ended at ~50%. Then shortly after bodyshop sent a text saying the repair has begun.

So it appears the bodyshop let the main battery to drain to 0% (for sure), and likely 12V battery also hit 0% (suspected). I brought this up to the bodyshop along with the screenshots of the notifications and heard back they don't have a charger in the lot so car gets charged only once it's brought inside.

My question is, is there any reason to be concerned (or not concerned)? Some forum searches so far shows main battery is probably ok even if it hit 0% for some period of time, but 12V AGM battery might be damaged if it gets drained to 0%. Any opinions or suggestion would be appreciated as repair is finally coming close to an end and I am wary of battery related issue after I drive it off the bodyshop.

One thing's for sure, next time I would be charging it to a high state before bring it in for any repair lasting more than a couple of weeks just in case, lesson learned.

Side note, I have been driving rental ICE econobox for commute for about 2 months now and I really miss my car and AP...

Then about a week ago App again sent a notification, this time showing a charging session has begun from battery state of 0, and another one about 30min after that charging ended at ~50%. Then shortly after bodyshop sent a text saying the repair has begun.

Unless they have a Supercharger, which is highly unlikely, there is no way your car charged from 0% to 50% in 30 minutes... So my guess is that the reporting was just bad because of what had been disconnected.

• Helpful
Reactions: derotam and bhzmark