Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

battery drains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now, I drove about 300 miles once I received my MX, and I found out the battery drains so faster if I drive little tough.

If accelerate very slowly or simultaneously, for example, I charged up to 206mi, now I had driven 46mi, and the battery range is 154mi, so there is 6mi gap, this is pretty fine for me. I understand this kind of gap. Expected. My avg energy consumption was 313 at this trip.

However last time, when I tried to accelerate fast few times on start and while driving, the battery drains so fast surprisingly for example, I charged up to 202mi, I drove around 96mi, and I had battery range left about 65mi. So there were about 41mi differences! Wow. The energy consumption was around 380~390 I remember. It's very unexpected. If I want to have long trip, I can't imagine how many times I need to stop and charge. This was not what I expected before I purchased.

What is other people's experience? Do you feel same?

What model? P100D or 100D or 75D?

There are several factors that impact energy usage:
1) Your driving style (same with ICE)
2) Weather (water/snow on the road will cause higher energy usage (same with ICE)
3) Climate control settings. Cooler in summer and warmer in winter will cause higher energy usage (ICE mainly impacted by AC, not heat)
4) Wind (more energy used to fight the wind same as with an ICE)
5) Speed. Higher speed means more energy used to move the vehicle (see #4 above)
6) Rapid acceleration, although fun, will eat into the available energy (same with an ICE)
7) Travelling up-hill uses more energy than down-hill. You can't recover all the energy used going up by coming back down, just some of it. (ICE has same energy loss up-hill and no gain down-hill)
8) The 20" tires are better by about 10% over the 22" tires.

You need to get used to the vehicle. Put at least 1,000 miles and then take a look at your average energy usage. 300 miles is a bit too few to get yourself used the the vehicle and adapt to the power available to you.

• Informative
Reactions: TexasEV and P85_DA
How fast were you going? Efficiency drops quickly as speed increases. I just tested 70 mph as 10% less efficient than 65 mph.
I was using over 100wh often, I think it was more of immediate speed increase than steady high speed. I also sped up 70mph~ though.
I know this is also for ICE cars, but heard Tesla battery range is more trustful than other EVs.

Maybe the most surprising is the wind. Because you dont see it and almost does not feel it.
If you increase the driving speed with 70 km/h you will se a very big increase in consumption. But you see it directly on the meter and it is easy to understand. Go from 80 to 150 km/h and check the consumption meter! Ooops... :)

If you have a moderate wind with you and turn around it is roughly the same as increasing the speed 70 km/h.
This is something that is not obviouse at all, and often can be an explanation to an unexpected spike in consumption...

Reactions: JunH
This is expected. The range on my MX is far lower than advertised in day to day driving.

My 70.2 mile commute consumes 41% of the battery or about 97 miles of range.

Since day to day you can only use your battery from 90% to 10%, that means daily range for me (80% of battery) is only 138 miles. Not the 237 advertised.

Last edited:
This is expected. The range on my MX is far lower than advertised in day to day driving.

My 70.2 mile commute consumes 41% of the battery or about 97 miles of range.

Since day to day you can only use your battery from 90% to 10%, that means daily range for me (80% of battery) is only 138 miles. Not the 237 advertised.

That’s exactly what I felt, so I’m not alone!

How r u guys getting only 140 miles on a 100D? ...my P100D I drive around 75-80 and my 80% I can squeeze 200-210 miles on 22s :eek:

My avg wh/mi is 388. That is conservative too no hard acceleration. 75000/388 is 193 miles. 80% of that is 154 miles. And with vampire drain and the fact that 388/mi is not the actual #, that drops for me to like 140.

So on a realistic daily basis, driving a 75d from 90% to 10% only gets about 140 miles.

Since a 100d has ~33% larger batter capacity, it should do around 50 miles more, or around your 200 miles.

Reactions: JunH and P85_DA
My longest monitored drive (from TeslaFi) was 209 miles:

209mi Drive.png

209 miles, 221.8 rated miles used, average speed 59 MPH due to traffic.

Here's a faster drive:

157mi Drive.png

157 miles, 165 rated miles used, average speed 70 MPH.

Seems very reasonable to me. My Porsche never came close to its EPA MPG. I think it was supposed to be 21 MPG but I was always near 14 MPG.