Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery durability - long term

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning all;

Question for long term Tesla owner please…I’m on a 4 year PCP for my model 3 LR and just wondering how many people actually keep their cars or swap/trade in for a new one once the term is up? Couple of things running through my mind are how durable are the battery’s long term if I was to keep e.g. 4 years +, cost to replace etc?

Thanks;
Teza

My view: don't worry

Search other posts over the last 8 years on this forum. Some people have troubles with a battery, but not many, and it is a guarantee that Tesla honour.

My experiences may help you - My MS is over 6 years old, 70k miles, Nominal 90 battery was only ever 82kWh, and might now be 75kWh. However, last week, in the warm spring weather, on a long motorway run, I drove 130 miles, battery still showing 52% and the energy graph suggested I could get another 140 miles. However, we stopped for "biological break" and supercharging.

When I first got the car, March 2016, I drove from Manchester to Glasgow, it was 2-3C, wind and rain, I just about made it to Abington with about 3% left at 170 miles. Journeys and conditions vary.

[I used to get 3 year leases, I am waiting for a new MS, which will be 2023.]

Tony

Agree. don't worry. It's not a MkI Leaf
If you don't abuse it by say charging to 100% and holding there for ages regularly then you will probably see maybe 5-7% loss in 4 years if you are an average mileage driver most of which will happen in the first year or so then it will level out.
but that is based on the BMS estimate rather than real loss. Based on the bms I am maybe down 4 1/2 % in 2 1/2 years and 22Kmiles but range has not noticeably changed that I have observed.
Of course no one has had an M3 in the UK for 4 years yet. Firs. you could check out the US forum

Last edited:
Reactions: Alan J
My first Model-S did 95K miles in 3.5 years and lost about 5% - and that was the 90 battery which was probably he worst chemistry that Tesla made.

My rule is to only charge above 90% when going on a trip, and then not leaving it at 100% for more than an hour or two, before setting off. If your travel plans change, and you have to leave it at 100% then don't sweat it - but avoid doing that often! If you are charging to 100% then try to make sure the car has enough time to finish - it can sit at 100% charging for "some time", whilst it balances the cells. If you are charging to 100% you might as well have that benefit as well. So maybe plan to have the 100% charge finish 1 hour before departure, in case it takes 30 - 60 minutes for balancing.

If I arrive home below 20% I charge immediately - not wait for cheap overnight rate.

If below 10% I don't use max throttle (although at that point I'm probably fretting about actually reaching my destination, so unlikely to be doing bank-getaways)

Rapid charging not great, so better not to make that the normal method of charging. But don't fret once-in-a-while

Agree. don't worry. It's not a MkI Leaf
If you don't abuse it by say charging to 100% and holding there for ages regularly then you will probably see maybe 5-7% loss in 4 years if you are an average mileage driver most of which will happen in the first year or so then it will level out.
but that is based on the BMS estimate rather than real loss. Based on the bms I am maybe down 4 1/2 % in 2 1/2 years and 22Kmiles but range has not noticeably changed that I have observed.
Of course no one has had an M3 in the UK for 4 years yet. Firs. you could check out the US forum
That's a good maintenance of battery health. How do you typically charge your battery?