TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Battery Efficiency Question?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by troyhouse, May 3, 2018.

1. troyhouse

troyhouse Member

Please see the attached pic, I am not really that well versed in battery technology and wanted to check with the group here on the battery efficiency for my car.

I just went to 800+ miles trip, driving almost at 65-70 mph range and minimal auto-pilot.

I am going to visit SC next week and wanted to check if I need to bring this up or not?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

That actually looks about right. As far as I'm aware, getting near 241 Wh/mi will get you the EPA range estimate, so you did slightly better than that.

3. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

is that a round trip? if not, you need to take into account total elevation gain/loss. HVAC use is also a big factor. That said, the efficiency number looks right for highway speeds.

4. troyhouse

troyhouse Member

Yes, it was round trip numbers. Thanks for looking at this, one less thing to worry about.

5. CO2CLEAN

CO2CLEAN Olivier Willemsen

What were you questioning? Was the efficiency lower (worse) than anticipated? I would not go to the SeC to tell them your car is too efficient ;)

6. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Very close to what I have. What was your concern?

7. David99

David99 Active Member

The title is a little confusing as it says 'battery efficiency'. The energy consumption is more driving efficiency. I don't have a Model 3 (yet) but from what I have seen 240 Wh/mle is a very reasonable consumption. Comparing those numbers is always difficult because road, weather, speed, driving style, temperature, wheels/tires, ... all affect consumption.