Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Wh/mi is what to watch. 220 is about what you need to get the advertised miles/charge.

right at 232 watts/mile seems to be the factored range number.

I thought the LR has a 75 kWh pack?

If it does, then your math doesn't seem correct.

75000 watt hours / 310 miles = 241.9 Wh/mi

Using more than 242 Wh/mi should result in total range on a full battery of less than the advertised "factored" 310 miles (since you're using too much electricity).

Using 241 Wh/mi or less should result in total range on a full battery of more than the advertised "factored" 310 miles (since you have extra electricity left over).

I'm going off of TeslaFi, which definitely uses 220 Wh/mi as its 100% rated range number. With that said, I do not disagree with your math.

I'm not sure why TeslaFi uses a lower number. Maybe to account for the fact that you can't actually drive the full 310 miles from 100% to 0% in a useful manner, especially given vampire drain. Or maybe they are using the 'real' EPA earned number for the 3 LR, which is 334 miles of range. Assuming 334 and 75 kWh comes to 224 Wh/mi.

Like OP, I also like to put the battery so it shows in terms of percentage... it gets roughly 300 mile range, so each percent equals 3 miles. Thinking about the battery in terms of percentage makes sense to me; and if I need to get back to "How many miles do I have left?" you just times the battery percentage by 3 and you have a range number... so if at 20%... you know you have 60 miles left. For my brain, that is a lot easier than seeing 178 miles and having to do a division of 178/310 to figure out the battery percentage.

Like OP, I also like to put the battery so it shows in terms of percentage... it gets roughly 300 mile range, so each percent equals 3 miles. Thinking about the battery in terms of percentage makes sense to me; and if I need to get back to "How many miles do I have left?" you just times the battery percentage by 3 and you have a range number... so if at 20%... you know you have 60 miles left. For my brain, that is a lot easier than seeing 178 miles and having to do a division of 178/310 to figure out the battery percentage.

It's even easier in Kilometers. 500KM range so 50KM = roughly 10% and so on and so forth.