TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Battery Error - "Sheet 9"

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by TonyWilliams, Apr 27, 2017.

1. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams Active Member

One of our customer's Roadster had a fatal battery error (car would not turn on). I forgot the numerical value of the error code, but the nomenclature was "Sheet 9", which I assume to be the 9th sheet of 9 sheets of cells in the battery pack.

Of course, the car was locked in Park, so we got a tow truck to haul it to the Tesla Service Center in San Diego. My understanding is that the battery must be dropped and sent to Fremont to have this error fixed.

How common is this?

2. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

This is not common and sorry to hear it happened to you. You should have been able to activate tow mode making it a little easier to tow. As for sheets there are 11 in the Roadster.

• Like x 1
  3. spaceballs

spaceballs Member

Yeah numerical error code is best to get, less to guess what error actually says. Anytime this happens the person should always grab a USB log of the car.

Depends, if it is the BMB board, then they can just swap it out on top of the ESS without having to drop the pack. Otherwise yes pack has to be dropped.

Doesn't seem that common, otherwise we would see more posts about here here on the forums.

4. gregd

gregd Active Member

The big question, and I hate to bring this up, but was this car already modified with the DC fast charging equipment? This might be an interesting test case regarding Tesla working on such a car... Please keep us posted on progress and any reactions from Tesla.

5. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I second @gregd's question: Was it fitted with the CHAdeMO and was it recently charged or charging when the error occurred?

6. TonyWilliams

Yes, this car is fitted with JdeMO, however the error is a recurring one (which preceded the current owner... maybe why the car was sold?).

The car started working again, even as it was at the Tesla Service Center, but subsequently failed again.

For my interaction with the car, it physically stopped working while accepting a 40 amp J1772 AC charge using an adaptor. It previously charged without error on DC charging.

The point I'm attempting to make is that there's no a correlation between JdeMO and an existing, ongoing, intermittent problem. I suspect it wasn't fixed by the previous owner because the quote was $6000.

• Like x 1
  7. gregd

gregd Active Member

And to be clear, I'm not suggesting that the CHAdeMO modifications had anything to do with the failure. I'm just curious about Tesla's stance on the diagnosis and repair.

8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I would also like to hear from the OP in regards to that question. I have a real concern about letting any third party work on my Roadster in case later Tesla declines to perform service or repairs due to third party modifications.

Minor things like changing shocks or brake pads do not concern me. Major changes to the vehicle charging system do concern me.

9. TonyWilliams

#9 TonyWilliams, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    Obviously, I'm not the person to ask concerning how Tesla handles anything. My experience is as follows:

1) Got the "hard fault" and had the Roadster towed to San Diego Service Center

2) The Service Center asked to have all the High Voltage connections to the PEM be removed, but I couldn't do that work at their shop. By the way, this is a VERY REASONABLE request (the high voltage connection part), since we currently have no service instructions for maintenance people on the Roadster. We do have all that for JdeMO on the Toyota Rav4 EV, plus experienced mechanics and preferred dealers... about 2 years of work to get there.

3) Roadster was towed on a dolly back to our shop (I did ask them to remove the parking pawl so that the car could roll, but apparently they didn't do that). I also asked to have the rock dust from the nearby quarry washed off... but, since the car won't move, they couldn't get it in to wash

4) I just (10 minutes ago) performed that work (it took 15 minutes) while the tow truck driver waited (he didn't even shut down the diesel motor)

5) It's on its way back to the Service Center, where they are quoting the owner 3 months to repair the battery

So far, the towing bill alone is about $600-ish. Our shop is not far from the Tesla Service Center.

• Informative x 2
  10. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Seems pretty unreasonable that you weren't allowed to do this in the parking lot.

11. TonyWilliams

They offered some insurance BS as a reason why the small amount of work couldn't be conducted there.

12. gregd

gregd Active Member

No, I think it's probably the correct position for Tesla to take. Insurance and other such things not withstanding, taking cars apart in the parking lot isn't the sort of activity Tesla (or any manufacturer) would want to allow in public view. And I expect that their insurance wouldn't allow non-Tesla mechanics to work on the car inside their service bay, so hands tied there too.

I agree that Tesla is being very reasonable about servicing the car, so my concern has been answered. The only fault I would give them is not having mentioned the need for restoring the wiring before the car was transported to the SC in the first place. That's the lesson learned here.

But, yikes! 3 months?

13. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I'd view it as disconnecting an accessory. From what I understand it's just a matter of flipping the small lid off the right of the PEM and undoing 2 nuts. It also could have been done in the street with the permission of the owner, I guess. Would have saved $400 in towing fees by the sounds of it.