TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Battery facts?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Laumb, May 6, 2013.

1. Laumb

Laumb smrtass.

What do we know about the batteries?
    - there's a 60kwh option
    - there's a 85kwh option.
    - they where supposed to introduce a proper 40kwh version, but they didn't. Lucky bas'ards got themselves a 60kwh. ;-)
    - it uses 18650 cells.
    - Its a flat pack with coolant - but the package itself is the same on both versions.

Could we try and collect what we know In this thread? I'm on a mission with this - but until I got some more info, Im unsure of the results of my Mission.

What are the cells rated volt and kWh?
    What is the curb weight of a 85kwh Model S?
    What is the curb weight of a 60kwh Model S?
    What is the curb weight of a performance S?
    What is the chemistry used (what do we know about the mix?)?

Feel free to add any other information that will be useful. Thanks!

2. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

3. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Isn't the 7104 just an estimation by doug? And it does not match with the 3.1Ah that Tesla announced.
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/23/panasonics-3-1ah-batteries-to-be-used-in-the-tesla-model-s-hav/
    http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/6421-Horsepower/page7?p=85455&viewfull=1#post85455

7104*3.6V*3.1Ah = 79.3kWh, which is off by 5kWh.

It would match 3.4Ah closer:
    7104*3.6V*3.4Ah =86.9kWh

But I do agree with Doug's calculation method. There are 16 modules in the Tesla pack and from a Tesla diagnostics screen I have seen there are 6 cell groups per module in series (means overall 96 cells in series since the modules are wired in series). That means the battery cell number pack must be a factor of 96 (16*6=96), but it's going to be tough to guess the exact number.

You can also work out:
    Nominal voltage of pack - 3.6V*96= 345.6V
    Charging voltage of pack - 4.2V*96= 403.2V

4. Banahogg

Banahogg Member

Dual Mode Range Extended Electric Vehicle - Patent application has a description of a hypothetical battery pack that sounds awfully close to these specs. Ripped from reality?

5. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

The number of cells has come from several sources, including Tesla service.

In the national geographic video, it looks like there are 14 modules. There is a screenshot pic floating around here.

6. richkae

richkae VIN587

7. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Okay I was able to dig up the source for 7104, FrankZ said a service manager said it was 7104:
    http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/15499-High-Power-Wall-Charger-Actual-DC-Volts-Amps-Going-To-Battery?p=311371&viewfull=1#post311371
    If that service manager knew what he was talking about that would imply 3400mAh cells.

There are 14 modules in the flat section, but there's two additional modules stacked on top of each other in the front to the car (it's the box stamped with TESLA in between the two front wheels in the second picture).
    attachment.php?attachmentid=1023&d=1347276132.jpg
    Tesla-ModelS-platform.jpg
    http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/4588-Model-S-Battery-Motor-first-impressions/page5?p=50703&viewfull=1#post50703

8. Jack_L

Jack_L Member

Couple more battery questions for those who know....

I'm looking at the MS (currently a deposit on the MX) and would want to have a few lights hooked up to the 12V battery. They would be low draw LED lights that would run infrequently and have an on/off switch so I could shut them off. The local service center said they could install them but nobody seems to be sure if the main battery pack will recharge the 12V if it were to get low. Would this work for me? I would not run them if I were getting low on range but for times where I had excess range would this cause a problem? Thanks!

9. Hank42

Hank42 Member

Unless you're going to draw a few thousand watts, this should not be a problem at all.