Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery failure at supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an almost 3 year old model x with circa 65k miles on the clock and it would run like a sweetie until yesterday. I arrived at a supercharger with 50m range and needed more to reach my destination. Plugged it in, went for a coffee, came back as App said 220 miles range and good to go and you were charged $26 dollars. Got back to car and all kinds of warning lights flashing saying 0 pct battery. It would not do anything, tried attaching supercharger again, no change. Called Tesla and they said pay for two truck to get you to nearest service center. Did that and after inspection was told battery is goosed and need a new one which will take 4 weeks (under warranty). I’m certain the supercharger had something to do with this major inconvenience. Anyone else experienced or heard of similar?

I have an almost 3 year old model x with circa 65k miles on the clock and it would run like a sweetie until yesterday. I arrived at a supercharger with 50m range and needed more to reach my destination. Plugged it in, went for a coffee, came back as App said 220 miles range and good to go and you were charged $26 dollars. Got back to car and all kinds of warning lights flashing saying 0 pct battery. It would not do anything, tried attaching supercharger again, no change. Called Tesla and they said pay for two truck to get you to nearest service center. Did that and after inspection was told battery is goosed and need a new one which will take 4 weeks (under warranty). I’m certain the supercharger had something to do with this major inconvenience. Anyone else experienced or heard of similar?
Unlikely that this was the Supercharger but just a bad HV pack module that failed during fast charging. Honestly, I would ask them to pay for the tow since its under warranty. Roadside is only for the first 4 years or 50K miles, but a HV failure is entirely on Tesla.

Unlikely that this was the Supercharger but just a bad HV pack module that failed during fast charging. Honestly, I would ask them to pay for the tow since its under warranty. Roadside is only for the first 4 years or 50K miles, but a HV failure is entirely on Tesla.
Thanks man. I was also thinking of asking them for free supercharging for life because of the inconvenience.

I doubt they can give you free Supercharging. But they should cover the tow. And the plus side of things is you have a brand new pack with no degredation!
Very unlikely he will see a brand new pack. He will get a refurbished/repaired pack that is roughly equivalent to what he had. Perhaps slightly younger with a few less miles on it, but not brand new.

The whole paying for towing thing sounds a bit silly. Also what did you end up paying and how many miles of tow was it? Also, they giving you a loaner? Or Uber credits?
It cost me $250 to get towed 4 miles but they already said I will get that back. I also suggested the shut down impacted my 12v so they replaced that as well. I sis get a loaner for two weeks so pretty good.

Reactions: drdumont