Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Format for Model 3 - 18650 commodity cells or large format batteries

What cell format will Tesla use for the Model 3?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon would make a great 'Q'. So would JB.
Definitely have to be JB as Q. Elon's too outgoing to be Q. He's either got to be Bond or a Bond villain.
L48ZH3Y.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Red Sage
They have 600,000 (ish) orders for the Model 3. They couldn't cannibalize it if they tried. And they are trying (with the Model S60). Production is the current problem NOT demand. Releiving the pressure on production by shifting demand to a vehicle with a longer perceived wait time, is win-win for Tesla.

You've got it messed up. Tesla HAS to get the 3 out on time and in large quantities. If they don't, there may not be a Y. For whatever reason, you're failing to grasp that simple reality. You're also failing to begin explaining where they'd come up with the money to even launch the Y.

Tesla is DEPENDENT on a successful, profitable launch of the 3.

They are a starting up several (3? 4?) new assembly lines right now for the 3. Another new one in a year or so should be old hat.

Thank you kindly.

Can you provide a source for how many lines they're starting up now? And no kidding, starting up the Y's production AFTER the 3 gets its bearings is exactly what some of us were saying from the start. It's just not what you were saying.

Ya welcome.

Last edited:
My prediction is that they will release a 800V battery pack for the Model S refresh in 2018 with the new cells and 125KW. Porsche is going with that voltage and Tesla will be driven to match. Also, Lucid is doing a 400 mile range sedan.

Tesla will have to raise their game with some real competition.

• Funny
My prediction is that they will release a 800V battery pack for the Model S refresh in 2018 with the new cells and 125KW. Porsche is going with that voltage and Tesla will be driven to match. Also, Lucid is doing a 400 mile range sedan.

Tesla will have to raise their game with some real competition.

If those cars actually show up in 2018. It's funny how everyone assumes Tesla will be late with every launch, but then figures all of the paper cars that get announced to beat Tesla will show up right on schedule.

If the original Supercharger hardware can't support 800V, Tesla would presumably want to retrofit all of the sites before they released an 800V car - having two separate network pieces and only being able to charge some cars at some locations would definitely run against their "it just works" philosophy of implementation.

Last edited:
Tesla is already the same size as Porsche, be the time Porsche has a 800V car, Tesla will be ten times their size.

Porsche is doing an 800V battery that will charge twice as fast as Tesla's 400V. With all the SCs already built, switching over will be difficult for Tesla. Not entirely clear if the current Tesla car ports and cables will work without a complete redesign.

A Porsche with similar range to Tesla and price, but that charges twice as fast will mean the end for Tesla's luxury offerings unless they step it up in my opinion.

Porsche is doing an 800V battery that will charge twice as fast as Tesla's 400V. With all the SCs already built, switching over will be difficult for Tesla. Not entirely clear if the current Tesla car ports and cables will work without a complete redesign.

A Porsche with similar range to Tesla and price, but that charges twice as fast will mean the end for Tesla's luxury offerings unless they step it up in my opinion.

Two quibbles:
1. *may* charge twice as fast. It doesn't exist yet. Engineering reveals limitations of paper specs and aspirations.
2. Switching over may be difficult for Tesla, but building an equivalent useful network of charging stations from zero will be more difficult for Porsche. Especially since they can't justify a meaningful footprint with their volumes.

Wait, I am late to this conversation so I apologize if I rehash something already discussed but...

Porche makes an 800V car (yet to be seen). Where the hell are they goin to charge it? Do they have an 800V charging network that rivals the Tesla Supercharger network? Pardon me if I am missing something but what good is a car that can charge twice as fast if there is no place to charge it?

Dan

Wait, I am late to this conversation so I apologize if I rehash something already discussed but...

Porche makes an 800V car (yet to be seen). Where the hell are they goin to charge it? Do they have an 800V charging network that rivals the Tesla Supercharger network? Pardon me if I am missing something but what good is a car that can charge twice as fast if there is no place to charge it?

Dan

In the last couple week, a couple groups of folks announced that they are starting to install 350kW 800V CCS stations (which no car can fully utilize right now.) EVGo in broke ground in southern California on a 4 stall location, and several auto companies are talking about a network in Europe.

• Informative
Reactions: garsh and Red Sage
In the last couple week, a couple groups of folks announced that they are starting to install 350kW 800V CCS stations (which no car can fully utilize right now.) EVGo in broke ground in southern California on a 4 stall location, and several auto companies are talking about a network in Europe.
That's great!

They only have about 3500 more plugs to go to catch up to Tesla. Look, I'm all for competition...really, but there is nobody, and I do mean nobody, that can match a Tesla as far as EVs and utility goes. All the others are just commuter cars. Doesn't make them bad, just shows how far ahead Tesla is on the rest of the market in this area.

Dan

Not to mention that "800 Volts" on it's own means nothing, and dealing with that voltage safely comes with it's own challenges.
I'm in favor of a pack reconfiguration system where the pack switches to 800V for quick charging but is 400V in regular use (and when connected to 400V chargers). This does away with some of safety concerns and makes the pack work for older chargers.

Note that even 800V charging isn't going to get 350KW from those EVgo stations unless they manage to get connectors capable of handling ~438A.

What's more, it will be interesting to see what C rates those proposed 800V can do... remember that regardless of pack configuration, battery chemistry dictates realistic C-rates for charging... while there are chemistries that can accept 2-4C rates, there are typically tradeoffs for energy density, cycle life, etc.

There is no free lunch....

Reactions: Topher and Red Sage