Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Fueling Ltd - Worse than Better Place!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw this press release in my news stream and checked it out. It looks like something that the Onion would put out.

Battery Fueling Limited | New, Innovative, Electric Vehicle Technology

Battery Fueling allows you to refuel a battery powered Vehicle with choosable amounts of motive power replenishment just like a fossil fuel vehicle.

You can refuel your EV in about four minutes instead of the tediously long recharging time for current EVs.

This is an innovative technology. Battery Fueling provides all your needs for bringing EV refueling up to par with gasoline refueling.

Hi,

I'm glad you've picked up on our Press Release. I'm one of the analysts for the company promoting Battery Fueling.

Sorry to hear your suspicions and concerns; I am interested to hear more of your opinions though. We welcome any and all feedback. If you'd like to ask any questions about the technology and the ideas behind it or if I can provide you with any more information: let me know through the forum here, or use the contact pages on the website you've linked above and I'll see what I can do.

Regards,

E

So the idea is you fill the car's tank with "a plurality" of tiny batteries from a "bowser" (gas pump, arch.)?

All in all, based on the rather odd English, somewhat less than professional graphics, and the obvious technical and cost issues, I'd classify it with the Nigerian Prince email scams. On the other hand, some people do fall for those, so maybe they're on to something.

So the idea is you fill the car's tank with "a plurality" of tiny batteries from a "bowser" (gas pump, arch.)?

All in all, based on the rather odd English, somewhat less than professional graphics, and the obvious technical and cost issues, I'd classify it with the Nigerian Prince email scams. On the other hand, some people do fall for those, so maybe they're on to something.

Hi RDoc,

Fortunately none of us are royalty and we're not confronted with such terrible dilemmas as those scam e-mails make out.

Yes, the idea is that many smaller batteries or cells (as opposed to one single large cell) are dispensed into the vehicle. This allows for the individual, depleted cells to be replaced with fully charged cells whereby the depleted cells are recharged outside of the vehicle. This allows the driver to 'fill up' even though their power source isn't yet fully depleted, without any loss of power and in a shorter time-frame than it would take to recharge the current 'conventional' EV.

Once the patent is published you'll be able to see some of the more technical drawings. Some of the language on the site also comes directly from the patent application and may need some tweaking; we'll look in to it. However, just to let you know, Bowser is another term for Fuel Dispenser most commonly used in Australia / New Zealand but applicable to the patent nonetheless (not sure if the site will let me post a link but look it up on dictionary.com). 'A plurality' also denotes many (i.e. plural). If you've ever filed a patent you'll know that everything has to be described in meticulous detail and you cannot rely on drawings too much.

Regards,

E

Edgar, this might be a perfectly valid technology that you've developed. I just cannot imagine that the car using the technology could have much range, which would mean that the refilling stations would have to be close together, (similar to Better Place), and the filling stations would be very expensive, (also similar to Better Place).

What killed Project Better Place was the high infrastructure costs. Tesla can install infrastructure in the entire US for probably less money than PBP spent in their Israel roll-out.

Edgar, this might be a perfectly valid technology that you've developed. I just cannot imagine that the car using the technology could have much range, which would mean that the refilling stations would have to be close together, (similar to Better Place), and the filling stations would be very expensive, (also similar to Better Place).

What killed Project Better Place was the high infrastructure costs. Tesla can install infrastructure in the entire US for probably less money than PBP spent in their Israel roll-out.

Hi Mycroft,

I'm not with Battery Fueling itself, rather with NRG Expert (you'll find the link on the Battery Fueling website or just type it into Google), though I may say 'we' or I. NRG Expert is helping to promote the technology and as a team of researchers we've put together some more details about the technology and the company through various analyst reports. For this, I also welcome any peer review.

The Battery Fueling technology that's being patented also allows for Plug-In charging thus facilitating the roll out of the the technology without the need for expensive infrastructure. I'm not an engineer myself so cannot speak definitively on the technical aspects like range and capacity, though to be clear, Battery Fueling is not patenting the batteries; rather the refueling concept. We've been following some very interesting developments with regards to different battery technologies and how they may be applied to the Battery Fueling invention as well as how they relate to the wider energy sector. We've also monitored Better Place's successes and failures and certainly hope that Battery Fueling can emulate the former and not the latter. Each Technology has its merits and not only professionally but also personally I have a keen interest in Tesla Motors and other EV technologies so I hope to learn from you as well.

Regards,

E