Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Fuse Replacement 2016 Model S 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Damm, only one tesla SC in my country. It's going to be a long wait...
So, changing it by myself will not automatically reset the alert (pics bellow)?

Attachments

• 20230217_123102.jpg
    20230217_123102.jpg
    676.6 KB · Views: 2,258
  • 20230217_123053.jpg
    20230217_123053.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 926
Damm, only one tesla SC in my country. It's going to be a long wait...
So, changing it by myself will not automatically reset the alert (pics bellow)?
I'm not sure, from what I've gathered, there was a version of the fuse with an internal battery that would only last X years. I think the car just checks the current date/ time to see if it's expired. New versions harvest power from the miniscule voltage drop across the fuse. I expect they change the vehicle config to indicate the new one doesn't have an expiration date (unless it has a network connection?)

Maybe @wk057 will chime in.

I'm not sure, from what I've gathered, there was a version of the fuse with an internal battery that would only last X years. I think the car just checks the current date/ time to see if it's expired. New versions harvest power from the miniscule voltage drop across the fuse. I expect they change the vehicle config to indicate the new one doesn't have an expiration date (unless it has a network connection?)

Maybe @wk057 will chime in.
Thanks for helping.

Hope that @wk057 finds this thread. Curious about his opinion

Just got the same message this morning on my 2016 Model X 75D and scheduled service. Earliest appt is March 2nd at local service center. On screen message says that is okay to drive. Does anyone know how long it can safely be driven without any issues?

Just got the same message this morning on my 2016 Model X 75D and scheduled service. Earliest appt is March 2nd at local service center. On screen message says that is okay to drive. Does anyone know how long it can safely be driven without any issues?
Just a guess, but March 2 should not be any issue.
As to safety, the fuse is only activated in the event of an airbag deployment level crash or if there is an over current fault on the HV bus. That's when it needs to react and activate the small explosive charge.

Please let us know what the SC told You and which part was replaced. Thanks

Odd how we all seem to get the same message with late 2016 Model S or X. Is this something that needs urgent replacement? A ton of guesses here. Does anyone have a strong answer? MUCH appreciated!!
The pyro fuse from that generation is battery powered with a finite life. Tesla replaces it with the new self powered version and updates the car's fuse data to clear the warning.
It is the emergency overcurrent cutoff for the pack and is very important. The only unknown is how long the fuse will continue to work after the warning pops up.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I also had this pop up on my screen. I’ve just talked to Tesla and they are quoting the cost of the fuse replacement on my work estimate as: $11,052.72! 🤯🤬 Has anyone else had this replaced off warranty?
can't be that high..
but if ur battery is old type, the fuse is on top, so HV pack needs to be removed. in that case def more labor but not 11k range..
whole reman pack is 13k...

Reactions: TSLC
can't be that high..
but if ur battery is old type, the fuse is on top, so HV pack needs to be removed. in that case def more labor but not 11k range..
whole reman pack is 13k...
I am absolutely gobsmacked at this price! Any suggestions to have this fixed in another way? Does anyone know if someone outside of Tesla will do this or if there’s a way to see what they are charging in other areas? I’m in the sf bay area and I’m feeling very price gouged