Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Health Improved?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have been charging my car when it got down to 30% to 90% which was every 4 or 5 days but recently switched and kept the range between 70-90%. As you can see I had an uptick in health. Is this due to the frequent charges and keeping the battery with more charge? Tesla recommends keeping it plugged in when not in use.

Attachments

• C0CC64C8-5B15-4574-A52E-08587D0FCA4C.jpeg
    C0CC64C8-5B15-4574-A52E-08587D0FCA4C.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 179
There are way too many factors to tell what is the reason for the change. Different software versions sometimes include changes in the way things are calculated. The app you use to draw that graph might also have changed how it draws.

It's almost certain that you have not "recovered health" in your battery. Real degradation is permanent. Since this is at least in part calculated from the BMS data, anytime you help your BMS get calibrated better, you should help get a more precise value out of this. My guess is that for some reason your BMS adjusted its estimate of capacity upwards. As to why, it could be the one time you left it at a lower SOC, or because you charged nearly full once etc... Hard to say.

EDIT: This is always just an estimate...

Reactions: Pianewman
If you are going to plug in and charge each day, unless you need the additional range afforded by charging to 90% state of charge (SOC) or higher then charging to between 60% and 80% SOC each day would be better for the long term health of the battery.

If you can't/won't charge each day then charging every 4 or 5 days is fine too. Even though you were charging to 90% the battery did not remain at 90% SOC for an extended period of time as you were/are evidently driving the Tesla Model Y regularly. Your average SOC over the 5 days was in the range of ~60%.

I would not put a lot of trust in any third party app informing on the state of the battery. One thing that is unavoidable, as the weather turns colder that the battery's performance will suffer. Tesla now takes this into account, you may see the estimated range drop 3% overnight following charging. This temperature tax will be a factor until the outside temperature is once again at or above 70F.

Last edited:
This is why the mileage guess-o-meter is so misleading and frustrating to new users. If I set my percentage to 80, it (generally) charges to 80 and I see that I have 80% of my charge remaining. If I have it set to "miles," and then select 80%, the number of "miles" it stops at will vary wildly from day to day, week to week, based on how low I'm discharging it etc. It causes people to think their battery has degraded when that "miles" number decreases... or to think that the health of the battery has improved when the number increases. It's a very unhelpful metric and new users obsess over it and think there's something wrong when the number of "miles" on a charge changes. It's an estimate -- the BMS sometimes goes out of sync/calibration and adjusts what it thinks you have left in "miles." We all know those miles are accurate anyway.

It used to bother me when people would post "change it to percent and don't worry about the miles" as it seemed dismissive; however, after having Teslas for about 3 years, I think it's very sound advice. If you charge to a certain percentage (e.g. 80%), you rarely worry if it's the same 80% as it was last week. I feel like there'd be a lot less posts about this kind of stuff if we weren't presented with the inaccurate mileage estimates at all.