Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery health test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Menu => software => touch and hold your car model (like "model Y ") => release after 3 second => in the pop up box, enter "service" without quotes => press enter

Anyone tried? How long does the test take actually?

FBDDBEFF-65E1-4F7F-A058-9A1E6671FF36.jpeg

I just completed this battery health test. Completed in about 20 hours, in my garage, ambient temp around 55f.

Battery health: 89%, and at 100% charge, upper left "gauge" shows 294 miles.

Tessie app says : Battery health: 93.5%, degradation 6.5%

I'm wondering if the Tesla "battery health test" states the entire battery capacity, and Tessie is stating the usable capacity?

I just completed this battery health test. Completed in about 20 hours, in my garage, ambient temp around 55f.

Battery health: 89%, and at 100% charge, upper left "gauge" shows 294 miles.

Tessie app says : Battery health: 93.5%, degradation 6.5%

I'm wondering if the Tesla "battery health test" states the entire battery capacity, and Tessie is stating the usable capacity?
I’m curious, how many miles, and months of ownership? I wonder if the Tessie estimate will change too, now that you’ve completed a full battery health test.

JonB65: Yes. The test fully depletes the battery, sits at 0% for "x" amount of time, then charges to 100% and sits again for "x" amount of time. This allows the BMS to equalized cells, IIRC. The test says this may take up to 24 hours. Mine took about 18 hours, but I started the test with the battery extremely low, maybe 6%.

There's a lot of paranoia about letting the car rest at 100%. Personally, I don't believe the car will be irreversibly damaged by occasionally leaving it at 100%, it's just something you shouldn't do on a regular basis.

YMMV

Everyone reading along is aware that this is in the tesla SERVICE menu, which is (technically) ment to be accessed by service personnel right?

I mean, people can do what they want with their cars, and I am not a tesla insider, but I do work in IT. There is a less than zero percent chance that every access of that menu isnt logged somewhere.

I doubt running the test in this thread does anything, but people should be aware that they are likely logging that they are accessing menus ment for tesla service. If you make a mistake in there and do something that damages something, there will be no hiding it from anyone.

I believe this service menu is a subset of what the service personnel have access to. I think it's meant for users to be able to perform some services to their cars themselves. I agree that it's most probably logged somewhere though :)
With that said, there's nothing special about that test. From what I understand, this test does a couple of things:
- empties the battery by spending energy without driving the car: run stator heating (as when heating the battery) and use the AC to fight that heat so we don't actually heat the battery. Fans will be running like crazy.
- charges the battery full and "counts" the electricity that goes in.
- Compares kWh in with supposed battery capacity to output degradation percentage.

I think you can achieve the same thing by applying the tips mentioned in the thread about "bringing back somme capacity". Run the car low, let it sleep at low SOC, charge full once in a while and let it sleep there. The BMS will most probably give you the same result without putting wear on your stators and AC.