Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't have taken delivery of this car personally. Too much of a hassle to stress about this after the fact. Seems like a big discrepancy
I think we need to allow a little time for the car/BMS (and probably battery in some cases) to find the capacity.

The LG battery used in MiC and German built (MiG?) seems to more or less always start low and increase for quite some time.
Its not clear if it is the BMS that needs time or if it actually is the cells that need some run-in before showing full capacity.

I do not know how the LFP usually behaves, but seing the later posts from OP imply a similar behavior.

In general lithium batteries is said to be cycled many times by a very specific schedule as the last part before leaving the manufacturer and when the user get them, there should be no need for run-in.
Reading battery research shows that some batteries actually increase the capacity during the initial 20-50 cycles or so, and that they reach the spec after these initial cycles.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I think we need to allow a little time for the car/BMS (and probably battery in some cases) to find the capacity.

The LG battery used in MiC and German built (MiG?) seems to more or less always start low and increase for quite some time.
Its not clear if it is the BMS that needs time or if it actually is the cells that need some run-in before showing full capacity.

I do not know how the LFP usually behaves, but seing the later posts from OP imply a similar behavior.

In general lithium batteries is said to be cycled many times by a very specific schedule as the last part before leaving the manufacturer and when the user get them, there should be no need for run-in.
Reading battery research shows that some batteries actually increase the capacity during the initial 20-50 cycles or so, and that they reach the spec after these initial cycles.
Overall I agree and fortunately seems to be the case here.

But given this seems to be the exception rather than the rule, I’d still take delivery of only a vehicle that extrapolated to a strong maximum value. Just to be sure.

Fortunately it looks like all will likely be well here and it is indeed the initial learning or perhaps reaching full capacity after a few cycles.

Reactions: AAKEE
Small update on my end. I set up a service appointment in Lancaster PA to have it checked for the less than expected range on day 1 with 3 miles on the odometer.

It has had some interesting developments leading up to the appointment. I noticed it would hit 100%, show 264m and still be pulling a full 32 amps when charging. It would pull this for about 20-30 minutes.

Yesterday, leading up to the appointment, it charged to 266 miles.

At the appointment, the advisor had it checked and reported back that the health condition is perfect, but it seems to be an algorithm or software issue as their battery experts (don’t know if in CA or TX) said the car is “still learning itself” and continue to monitor.

This morning, it now charged to 268. It’s definitely been different with owning an LFP pack than an NCA pack like my old car- but so far so good as I still like it better.

I had that with my SR+ as well. Rated at 253 miles, for the first few weeks it was often climbing to 255 before it stopped charging. Enjoy this gliche while you can!