Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Heater ~1000 watts and thermal camera photo.

spaceballs

Sep 17, 2013
Sammamish
For the first time I've seen the battery heater kick on.

Here some pics and info I learned in case people were curious.

When I first started the charge, I noticed it was drawing 8 Amps & 120v, display says it was doing battery heating. After about ~15-20mins it switched to normal charging and now drawing 12 amps.

Seems to match up with the ~1000 watt model at (page 76).

1.png

2.png

4.png

flir1.png

flir2.png

flir3.png

3.png

Last edited:

mibars

Nov 15, 2014
Poland
Cool!

So it inhibits charging completly before battery is brought to the certain minimum temperature?

BTW: are those images from FLIR One? Users at EEVBlog are reporting that when you save a picture and then open it in Flir Tools you can get a reading below 32F, although accuracy is unknown.

spaceballs

Sep 17, 2013
Sammamish
So it inhibits charging completly before battery is brought to the certain minimum temperature?

Yep seems that way.

BTW: are those images from FLIR One? Users at EEVBlog are reporting that when you save a picture and then open it in Flir Tools you can get a reading below 32F, although accuracy is unknown.

Yep FLIR One, I just checked in the Flir tool, it says that photo has a temperature range of -23F to 12.3F.. yeah I say it's very inaccurate. Temp was likely 28F at the time.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC