Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery heater and 2017.50.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Observations on the battery heater ICON in the iPhone Tesla App.
After setting climate on with the Tesla App, it can take perhaps 1 minute for the app to display the battery pre-heat icon.
The S appears to have the following pre-requisits in addition:

The icon shows simply when the pack heater turns on. No discernable difference in the pack heater algorithm on with this update, and no additional control.

According to the Model S software/firmware changelog, version 5.9 added the battery preheat feature. (I remember this change.)
So if I got this straight, the new differences are the notification icon in the app, and that it heats the battery even if not plugged in.

I'm not convinced the plugged in part is new either. I've been preheating my car at work for a while, and have on occasion been surprised how much regen was available; as I expected none. Still have to remember to turn range mode off. I turn it on when picking up lunch, because heating the battery then is just a waste.

According to the Model S software/firmware changelog, version 5.9 added the battery preheat feature. (I remember this change.)
So if I got this straight, the new differences are the notification icon in the app, and that it heats the battery even if not plugged in.

I'm not convinced the plugged in part is new either. I've been preheating my car at work for a while, and have on occasion been surprised how much regen was available; as I expected none. Still have to remember to turn range mode off. I turn it on when picking up lunch, because heating the battery then is just a waste.

Yeah but that thing was prompted by an electrek article. Moral of the story is, don't believe anything you read on electrek.