Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery heater and 2017.50.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As per the new Tesla app update they mention being able to preheat your battery but not how.

That's because you can't force it on. If your car is cold enough and you start the auto climate control remotely after a minute or two it will kick on and show you the battery heat icon. However, this is no way to force it on.

There are new flags in the API that let the app know the battery heater is on. When it's on it really sucks juice. I had my UMC set to 40A at home and with the climate control and battery heater on I was getting 3 MPH charging rate while I'd normally get 26 MPH.

Does it turn on even if I don't enable cabin heating? (Must I worry about draining when my car's not plugged in - right now we got freezing outside for months.)

It will but only enough to keep your battery from losing it's life. It isn't advised to store your car in extreme cold temps without being plugged in.

This feature specifically gets the battery up to optimum operating temp whereas the former is just a little bit.

I don't see the battery snowflake at all, even though it's currently -12C outside. I've started charging and as expected it's warming the battery pack first (drawing about 26A @ 250V as the battery heater starts the warm up) and zilch on the range. I also noticed that with AP2, the camera heater seems on all the time in order to keep it clear.

A question about pre-conditioning: does pre-conditioning actually do any preparation for warming the battery pack?

• Informative
Reactions: croman
I have heard of some folks that needed to reinstall the mobile app to make things work. (Not sure if that helps).

I am sitting at -15 F right now, so knowing how this battery heater works, would be really nice.

Can you enable battery heat without cabin heat?

If not, how is this update different then what we had before?

I was under the impression that pre 2017.50, turning on cabin heat also preheated the battery, so what did this update actually do?

Will, when plugged in, the BMS keep the batteries warm enough to keep from dangerous levels? Is this automatic?

So, this is supposed to keep the battery warm enough to not kill regen if you preheat the car, but how much is enough? The description talks about ‘preheat the cabin one hour’ which seems excessive, especially if you are going to use the seat heaters.

What a comms fail on Teslas part; even Electrek thought it was a button.....

Yeah, how is this different except that it shows you when the battery heat is on because it’s ‘cold’?

We really need the ‘battery preheat’ to be separate from ‘cabin preheat’, as we thought we were getting in the first place.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Can you post a picture of the app with the battery heater icon. Thanks
Funny you asked, I actually grabbed a screenshot of it. Here ya go:

Bat_heat.jpg