Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery heater fuse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like the battery heater is 110V and the power comes through the PEM. So no easy to access fuse it appears.

upload_2017-5-2_22-0-19.png

It looks like the battery heater is 110V and the power comes through the PEM. So no easy to access fuse it appears.

Where is this document from? It sounds a little odd that it's running off 110 Volt. It would be the only thing that runs off external AC power. What is the PEM? Isn't that the inverter? If yes the PEM is powered by the battery so the heater would indirectly get it's power from the battery.

Where is this document from? It sounds a little odd that it's running off 110 Volt. It would be the only thing that runs off external AC power. What is the PEM? Isn't that the inverter? If yes the PEM is powered by the battery so the heater would indirectly get it's power from the battery.
The PEM controls both charging and running so yes it does the AC conversion. As to the source I was told it is the Roadster Technical Training Manual. I happened upon a bootleg copy a few years back. I have no idea if it is valid or official and as such I am very reluctant to post.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
While the Power Electronics Module is powered by the battery, it only controls the power going to the coolant heater. It doesn't supply it. In other words the heater is not indirectly powered by the battery and the heater power does not come through the inverter.

It's likely that the fuses for the coolant heater are under the small access cover on the PEM. That's where they are on the 2.x and the 1.5 location is probably the same. It's important to replace those fuses with the right kind, not just the right amp/voltage rating. If they overheat they will melt the plastic fuse holder and you can forget getting the old fuses out.