Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery heater icon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would say so, especially if it’s plugged in. That way you can use mains power to warm the batteries.

Agree. You will normally regain all power long before all regen especially with the low temperatures not of a night.

Thinking about it, it would be useful if you could tap said icon and turn it off. Sometimes if I'm only nipping out there is no need to burn electrons, seems wasteful

Reactions: pow216
Others have been reporting new battery icon 2020.48.12.

upload_2020-12-20_9-24-25.png

The car has always heated the battery pack, if it needs it, using the motors set to run but not rotate (opposing fields set up in the stator windings) plus the coolant circuit (which in this case is used for heating). About 3 kW of heat can be produced this way, helping to get the battery pack up to a better operating temperature in cold weather.

It seems that all that's changed is that this icon has been added to show remotely when the car is doing this.

Reactions: Adopado
I guess it's a nice to know.

Be good if you could tap to turn it off, as if your only going a few miles it doesn't really make sense to warm the battery, just wastes energy.

Well it could be done for battery health and also to a larger degree the drivability factor. When the battery is extremely cold it's ability to give and or accept power is reduced so you would likely have little to no Regen and limited performance. Batteries like to be warm not sure if it contributes to their longevity or not but what the heck these cars are so cheap to drive that a few pennies here and there to keep the battery happy is negligible. IMHO.

Well it could be done for battery health and also to a larger degree the drivability factor. When the battery is extremely cold it's ability to give and or accept power is reduced so you would likely have little to no Regen and limited performance. Batteries like to be warm not sure if it contributes to their longevity or not but what the heck these cars are so cheap to drive that a few pennies here and there to keep the battery happy is negligible. IMHO.

It's a fair point and if that's needed then fine but I have a feeling a lot of the time is isn't. It wasn't cost really, since movig to agile I'm more aware of co2 emissions etc from electricity generation. Whilst having a car is never the greenest option, even if electric it's much better than ICE

Moderator comment - post moved from "What’s this icon? Battery with frost symbol"

32EFCD65-B911-4DCC-B660-DF840A768B7C.png
Hi all,
Any ideas what this icon means in the app?
Red battery symbol with frost inside on the climate screen.
I know I should rtfm (again) but don’t have it to hand and figure someone might now straight off :)

merry Christmas!

Last edited by a moderator:
...Red battery symbol with frost inside on the climate screen...

The snowflake symbol means the car's main battery is being heated. It's nice additional information.

For example, there's a report that a driver was concerned in the cold weather that Tesla Supercharger is broken because after plugging in the car seemed not to charge at all and the driver kept jumping from one charge point to another.

Now, with the snowflake icon, the driver would know that there's nothing wrong with the Supercharger because the battery needs to be heated first before getting the charge and there's no need to jump from one charge point to another while the battery is still cold.