Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Heater Question/Coolent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple months back my battery heater went bad. Tesla replaced it and all has been great. That led me to a thought. Did they have to replace the coolant when they replaced the heater? If so, I was thinking I may have longer to go until I change the coolant.

Also, as it relates to the coolant. What are people doing about it? My car is about four years old now. I have a 2016 Model S 90D.

I got a message stating that I needed service right away and that my car may not start again once it was put into park. In the end it made sense. See it new the heater was bad and basically was running on battery that could not be charged again because it had been too cold out. That night I drove home and it was extra cold. I can only assume it needed the battery heater to charge and because it didn't work, it failed to charge. Next morning I went to drive the car and got a message saying that the battery was too low to drive and that there was a serious error. Then the screen went black. From there I called the tow truck. Took it to Tesla. They determined it was the battery heater. Changed it. Car has been fine since.

I got a message stating that I needed service right away and that my car may not start again once it was put into park. In the end it made sense. See it new the heater was bad and basically was running on battery that could not be charged again because it had been too cold out. That night I drove home and it was extra cold. I can only assume it needed the battery heater to charge and because it didn't work, it failed to charge. Next morning I went to drive the car and got a message saying that the battery was too low to drive and that there was a serious error. Then the screen went black. From there I called the tow truck. Took it to Tesla. They determined it was the battery heater. Changed it. Car has been fine since.

They probably didn't have to change the coolant. To be sure, you could leave a message with the service center about it, asking them to check for you.

Did they have to replace the coolant when they replaced the heater? If so, I was thinking I may have longer to go until I change the coolant.

Tesla has updated their maintenance schedule in the current manual:

Fluid Replacement Intervals
Your Battery coolant does not need to be replaced for the life of your vehicle under most circumstances. Brake fluid should be checked every 2 years, replacing if necessary.

Note: Any damage caused by opening the Battery coolant reservoir is excluded from the warranty.

My car wont super charge cause heater is not working. Tesla CD says go to service center to get it fixed.

He isn't kidding. I waited and when my battery got too low, the car decided not to drive anymore. I would drive it straight to the service center and don't even stop for a coke. I had to get mine towed.

It was a simple fix (new heater) and I got my car back the next day. Gave me a loaner as well.

Watch YouTube on this , the guy clamps hoses, doesnt lose much, then just top it off.
I argued with Tesla all yesterday. They say my coolant pump is bad. I said NO. It runs the entire time the car is on. They refuse to send ranger to my work to diagnose the problem. They want me to take off from work, not get paid, to go to service center to diagnose the problem. But the heater is not turning on. I took frunk out. Bought thermometer, the coolant is at outside temp, ie, 40. 65.
We are arguing, I have 2 problems, rate of charge, 30kw, and coolant to cold to super charge. My range has gone from 245 to 211 after v10.

Watch YouTube on this , the guy clamps hoses, doesnt lose much, then just top it off.
I argued with Tesla all yesterday. They say my coolant pump is bad. I said NO. It runs the entire time the car is on. They refuse to send ranger to my work to diagnose the problem. They want me to take off from work, not get paid, to go to service center to diagnose the problem. But the heater is not turning on. I took frunk out. Bought thermometer, the coolant is at outside temp, ie, 40. 65.
We are arguing, I have 2 problems, rate of charge, 30kw, and coolant to cold to super charge. My range has gone from 245 to 211 after v10.

They don't allow mobile techs to do anything related to fluids, so it doesn't matter if it is the pump or the heater you are going to have to take it to a service center to have them work on it.

BTW: I think there are three coolant pumps, so while one might be running it doesn't mean that they all are working appropriately.