Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery heating when charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems the battery is heated past 10C now on model 3 while charging. It used to always only go to 10C and turn off battery heating and just warm while charging. I plugged in tonight at about 72% after 24 hours of cold soaking battery is now 12.5C and battery heater is running full blast targetting 25C.

Edit: stopped heating at about 14C.

• Informative
Reactions: pcons
It seems the battery is heated past 10C now on model 3 while charging. It used to always only go to 10C and turn off battery heating and just warm while charging. I plugged in tonight at about 72% after 24 hours of cold soaking battery is now 12.5C and battery heater is running full blast targetting 25C.

How do you know this? Scanner device?

So up to 14C you were effectively charging at 4-5km/h then? It is a bit annoying that the battery needs to be this warm. Especially on L2 charging. I see why supercharging would limit charging at low temp, but no other EV throttles this much at low battery temp.

So up to 14C you were effectively charging at 4-5km/h then? It is a bit annoying that the battery needs to be this warm. Especially on L2 charging. I see why supercharging would limit charging at low temp, but no other EV throttles this much at low battery temp.

Yes. Definitely a bit annoying. I think they're trying to balance towards people wanting "warm" batteries and more regen, and not necessarily protecting the battery. I'm saying this since they warm the battery even further while preconditioning while plugged in (I think if you precondition long enough you'll get pretty much full regen now). With an AWD this actually depletes the battery on my 32A charging setup since it uses almost 7kw for battery heating and then whatever HVAC uses.

Edit: Another sign is that I was getting 4-5km/h whereas with cold battery before below 10C I think I got 0km/h. So if I had a 48A it might get 30km/h at the point I'm getting 4-5km/h now.

Last edited: