Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Imbalance after 8 years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Been an owner since 2013 of a model S85. Really love this car, had an early charging issue, liftgate replaced, side mirror replacement and experienced the touchscreen glue issue (upgraded Dash and touchscreen, now have caraoke). Ive been planning on just using this car until the motor conks out or battery degrades to zero.

Unfortunately, just a few days ago, just 3 months after my 8th year, i received an MCU_w029 error. After arranging for service, technician said its a battery imbalance and the quote is 20-25K to replace a battery of a 2013 model s85 (83K miles). From 235 miles full charge down to 119miles.

I dont think it makes sense to spend that money on replacing the battery compared to resale value (a year ago, tesla said 16K trade-in). Im looking for alternative fixes.

Worst thing about this is that if i bought a model x (was planning on buying one prior to this issue), i will still have raffle tickets for another battery imbalance draw after 8 years, making me unsure if i should continue buying tesla.

Curious to see how owners feel about the battery imbalance issue, especially those with cars 2012- 2013.

Attachments

• 20211013_171200.jpg
    20211013_171200.jpg
    585.1 KB · Views: 602
...battery imbalance and the quote is 20-25K to replace a battery of a 2013 model s85 (83K miles)...
Since your Tesla warranty expires, there's no need to use the Tesla service if there are cheaper alternatives. You don't say where you are but you can ship your car to non-Tesla repair shops and it'll be cheaper than fixing it with your local Tesla without shipping:

Hi All,

Been an owner since 2013 of a model S85. Really love this car, had an early charging issue, liftgate replaced, side mirror replacement and experienced the touchscreen glue issue (upgraded Dash and touchscreen, now have caraoke). Ive been planning on just using this car until the motor conks out or battery degrades to zero.

Unfortunately, just a few days ago, just 3 months after my 8th year, i received an MCU_w029 error. After arranging for service, technician said its a battery imbalance and the quote is 20-25K to replace a battery of a 2013 model s85 (83K miles). From 235 miles full charge down to 119miles.

I dont think it makes sense to spend that money on replacing the battery compared to resale value (a year ago, tesla said 16K trade-in). Im looking for alternative fixes.

Worst thing about this is that if i bought a model x (was planning on buying one prior to this issue), i will still have raffle tickets for another battery imbalance draw after 8 years, making me unsure if i should continue buying tesla.

Curious to see how owners feel about the battery imbalance issue, especially those with cars 2012- 2013

Try to get quote for reman battery. I think cost of 85kwh reman came down to ~10k.

I think Tesla usually quotes remanufactured batteries. If you want brand new, it's much higher than $25,000.
Don't think so. I would recommend this thread below.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Since your Tesla warranty expires, there's no need to use the Tesla service if there are cheaper alternatives. You don't say where you are but you can ship your car to non-Tesla repair shops and it'll be cheaper than fixing it with your local Tesla without shipping:

Reached out to RichRebuilds and recommended Gruber

@wk057 do you do battery imbalance fixes?
Jason does whole battery pack replacements when imbalances don’t self correct. Many on the forum have had cars done there. Direct message him if you are interested. He’s really responsive.

As a celebrity, his posts get extra moderated so it takes extra time to reply in a thread.

As Adri said, Jason is cheaper than Tesla, but he won’t do really cheap stuff like partial module replacement or individual cell removal as he describes these as self destructive. Time will almost certainly prove him right in that.

Last edited:
Jason does whole battery pack replacements when imbalances don’t self correct. Many on the forum have had cars done there. Direct message him if you are interested. He’s really responsive.

As a celebrity, his posts get extra moderated so it takes extra time to reply in a thread.

As Adri said, Jason is cheaper than Tesla, but he won’t do really cheap stuff like partial module replacement or individual cell removal as he describes these as self destructive. Time will almost certainly prove him right in that.
Thank you for that input.

Reactions: Maarten74