Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery interior and Repair of Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why not use 2 or 4 extra packs in the frunk/trunk. This seam like a good time/project to do that (the battery are open anyway) and you might be able to re-wire the coolant pipes to feed the extra packs.
if all the packs are connected in paralle The Model S might not need any firmware tweeks to take advanged of the extra cappacity.

NielsChr,

It is not possible to do it, battery modules are connected in series not parallel. Only each section of 74 cells is connected parallel (there is 6 sections in one module) and all 16 modules (85kW battery) are connected in series.

I'm not sure I'm completely following your battery layout, so let me know where I may have strayed:

7104 total cells, 74 * 6 * 16

16 battery modules are connected in series. There are 6 sections in one module also in series, and each section of 74 cells is connected in parallel.

74 modules at 4.2 volts each in parallel * 6 * 16 = 403.2 volts pack voltage

74 modules at 4.1 volts each in parallel * 6 * 16 = 393.6 volts pack voltage

Hi Guys, Just an update. Martin Finally repaired the battery and the casing. Unfortunately Tesla will not approve it without a completely intact casing so we have sourced a used one in perfect shape and are transferring all the battery components in the new case, and replace the steering wheel airbag. Once this is complete the car will be submitted to Tesla for final approval. I have put the car for sale at at 30K under market as I purchased a new S Mercedes model. The car is on Cars.com. Please feel free to IM/email me for link, if you are interested.