Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery level after driving most days?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So for the entire year of owning the Tesla Model 3, I rarely had to use supercharging. I live in Lake Forest CA (Orange County), so that's my start point.

The Tesla Model 3 can easily do a round trip from OC to LA, plus local commuting in LA, and not need to be charged, it can start from 90% charge and survive the entire day. I never need to find a charging station while I park because I know I'll make it back, and not worth the premium to charge outside of home, so I can just park it without it being charged.

OC to San Diego I will likely have to recharge. I don't go there often, but I have college friends down there so I may go few times a year. Last time was for a wedding and stayed overnight at a hotel. And parked on the street at hotel, no charging. I charged somewhere in the San Diego County area on the way back and ate at a Japanese restaurant that had good happy hour.

Also did a day trip OC to Santa Barbara, that one I couldn't skimp on supercharging. I went to a concert so I may have done a little supercharging on the way there, but not too much, as to be on time. So after the concert, I did the supercharging and I had to wait 20-30 minutes. That was probably the longest I had to wait that was necessary to have the minimum to make it back.

I also did OC to Mt High (Wrightwood) to do snowboarding. I don't really have to do supercharging if I choose not to.

But yeah for local commuting seems supercharging isn't necessary, even if you have to do 40-60 mile commutes round trip to work. Just wondering of all types of commuting styles and what works for EV / Tesla owners. Seems like gas car owners don't like the idea of charging during commutes. But for me, long commutes don't happen very often for me so it's no big deal. I felt like I saved more time not having to stop at a gas station 1-2 times a week, and being able to go straight home every time. When your home is your refueling station, its one less thing to do.

So for the entire year of owning the Tesla Model 3, I rarely had to use supercharging. I live in Lake Forest CA (Orange County), so that's my start point.

The Tesla Model 3 can easily do a round trip from OC to LA, plus local commuting in LA, and not need to be charged, it can start from 90% charge and survive the entire day. I never need to find a charging station while I park because I know I'll make it back, and not worth the premium to charge outside of home, so I can just park it without it being charged.

OC to San Diego I will likely have to recharge. I don't go there often, but I have college friends down there so I may go few times a year. Last time was for a wedding and stayed overnight at a hotel. And parked on the street at hotel, no charging. I charged somewhere in the San Diego County area on the way back and ate at a Japanese restaurant that had good happy hour.

Also did a day trip OC to Santa Barbara, that one I couldn't skimp on supercharging. I went to a concert so I may have done a little supercharging on the way there, but not too much, as to be on time. So after the concert, I did the supercharging and I had to wait 20-30 minutes. That was probably the longest I had to wait that was necessary to have the minimum to make it back.

I also did OC to Mt High (Wrightwood) to do snowboarding. I don't really have to do supercharging if I choose not to.

But yeah for local commuting seems supercharging isn't necessary, even if you have to do 40-60 mile commutes round trip to work. Just wondering of all types of commuting styles and what works for EV / Tesla owners. Seems like gas car owners don't like the idea of charging during commutes. But for me, long commutes don't happen very often for me so it's no big deal. I felt like I saved more time not having to stop at a gas station 1-2 times a week, and being able to go straight home every time. When your home is your refueling station, its one less thing to do.
The only time where I felt the inconvenience of an EV was during the fire season in SoCal and we didn’t have power. Had to charge to 90% and use my extra car the next day. Otherwise EV is awesome. Went from Ventura to Big Bear on one charge (made it home with less than 10%). This car is amazing. I’ve never supercharged when driving around the LA area. Those in LA who can’t charge at home, that must suck. I see the supercharge stations on the tesla in car map are totally maxed to capacity. There’s must be a lines there at night.

Supercharging is a lousy way to experience an EV. It's a much worse than gas station experience when you have to do it multiple times a week. In SoCal, there are so many folks who only Supercharge that the experience is made even worse with common waiting lines. Part of the is the Model S and X users who got free Supercharging and feel that they can't charge at home. And the other part are folks living in housing that doesn't allow for any charging alternatives.

For me, I plug in at home when I need to, about 10 seconds to plug, 15 to unplug (gotta coil the cord).
When on a road trip, I can often time the stops so that the belly needs filling or the bladder needs emptying and the legs streching in conjunction with a charging stop, so no real impact to trip time.

I really would think twice about an EV if Supercharging was my only charging option. I've got 2 EVs, not going to a filling station (gas or electric) is a HUGE PLUS!.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Supercharging is a lousy way to experience an EV. It's a much worse than gas station experience when you have to do it multiple times a week.....
[exception]Moved into a condo with no charging stations BUT have a Supercharger in the parking deck (even same level). I plug in head up to my condo and when done I just head back down and walk (in parking deck) to my car. While not as convenient as it was charging at my house, I still have a big advantage over most that rely on Supercharging.
IMG_3103.jpeg

I agree, but why can't they do that in SoCal?
I think a function of expensive housing in dense urban areas and the availability of much cheaper Teslas has pushed EV penetration among apartment dwellers and others that don’t necessarily have dedicated parking, garages, or control over their charging situation. So you see a higher reliance on public charging.

[exception]Moved into a condo with no charging stations BUT have a Supercharger in the parking deck (even same level). I plug in head up to my condo and when done I just head back down and walk (in parking deck) to my car. While not as convenient as it was charging at my house, I still have a big advantage over most that rely on Supercharging.

While better than having to travel to a Supercharger, oh wait, you do have to travel back to the Supercharger to unplug. At least you can go inside, drop your stuff and get a drink before you have to turn around and go unplug it.

I plug in when I get home, unplug when I leave. Never have to worry about it in-between.

Is this really any more or less of an inconvenience vs an ICE car? Gas stations can’t pump without power either.
True but my scenario a few months ago: I arrive home with 35% battery life at 630pm. I get a text power is shutting down at 9pm. I can’t charge to 90% in 2.5hrs.
But I can go to the gas station with my hybrid and get full tank in 20 mins (includes driving to the gas station and back). Again this is what I had to do.

So, how do those living in apartments / townhomes (no garage) do charging? Are apartments now adding chaging, and do you have to pay for them or is it free? And how do people share, is it honor system or do people get penalized if parked there for over 24 hours and fully charged?

I did use a friend's apartment to charge my Tesla during Comic Con. Since it was 2nd day (slept overnight) and my car was due for a charge from driving from OC to San Diego. His apt is in Downtown SD and is like a 10 min Escooter ride to the convention center. But a 4-5 hour charge was enough to get back and not have to supercharge, since I was gonna use that time to be at Comic Con.

Last edited:
Went from Ventura to Big Bear on one charge (made it home with less than 10%). This car is amazing. I’ve never supercharged when driving around the LA area. Those in LA who can’t charge at home, that must suck. I see the supercharge stations on the tesla in car map are totally maxed to capacity. There’s must be a lines there at night.

Does Big Bear or national parks have ways to charge an EV if you're doing a few day stay? I assume there has to be public charging somewhere, but its gonna be slow. So is it best to try find a hotel / motel with EV charging? Or do most cabin rentals offer EV charging?

I have not been to a national park with the Model 3, so how would that work out if you're doing a weekend trip because I assume you won't be nearby any supercharging until you leave. Obvious is to find a hotel or cabin with EV charging, but what if you don't have that option? I wonder if hotels could run out of charging parking because of other EVs that wanna charge up.

Does Big Bear or national parks have ways to charge an EV if you're doing a few day stay? I assume there has to be public charging somewhere, but its gonna be slow. So is it best to try find a hotel / motel with EV charging? Or do most cabin rentals offer EV charging?

I have not been to a national park with the Model 3, so how would that work out if you're doing a weekend trip because I assume you won't be nearby any supercharging until you leave. Obvious is to find a hotel or cabin with EV charging, but what if you don't have that option? I wonder if hotels could run out of charging parking because of other EVs that wanna charge up.
Big bear doesn’t have public charging. There’s two hotels I think that has chargers. And of course homes and Airbnb that can charge the car. I’ve been to Joshua tree, no EV chargers. Death Valley has level 2 (free) in the middle of the park.
Just found out Grand Canyon just got tesla superchargers near the park.

Big bear doesn’t have public charging. There’s two hotels I think that has chargers. And of course homes and Airbnb that can charge the car. I’ve been to Joshua tree, no EV chargers. Death Valley has level 2 (free) in the middle of the park.
Just found out Grand Canyon just got tesla superchargers near the park.

Thumbs up for SC near Grand Canyon. There's a lot of empty space around that park.