Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Level dropping while at SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just dropped my MX off at the Buena Park SC to have some work done to trim and alignment issues which were not addressed on delivery. I had roughly 200 miles range on battery when I left it there 3 days ago. I checked via my Tesla app this morning and it says charge level is down to 140 mile range. This seems like an extraordinary amount of energy drain for no use. It is fairly warm in So. Cal now ( High 80's ) and I know the batterries need to be maintained at a certain temperature. I am pretty sure that the car is just sitting there waiting for parts. They said it would be a few weeks to take care of all the issues. Is all this normal or should I have the SC look in to this? TIA

Did u have cabin overheat on ? TeslaFi ? I can see my Tesla X dropping 3-4% a day which corresponds to ~11miles /day..: also if your constantly checking car that will eat up battery as well

Hmm if he can still check remotely my guess is sitting outside still ..normally when they begin work first thing they do is turn off remote access ...second thing they do is unplug your dash cam :(:mad:...in SoCal sun his batteries are prob just cooling ...OP no cause for worry ;)

Cabin overheat is in the safety settings make sure turned off when u get car back it’s a battery drain ..I assume u don’t have tint most likely your car is just cooling down the battery ...all should be good

So far very disappointed in Buena Park SC. My car has been sitting there for a week now waiting to get in to the body shop. Battery charge( not sure of percentage) has dropped from well over 200 miles to about 80 over 7 days. ( cabin overheat? It has been in 90s the last week) My Service adviser called yesterday and I told him my concerns and he he said he would use the supercharger there to charge it himself yesterday since the body shop doesn't have high capacity chargers when it goes over. He said that it was supposed to be going over today . Of course he didnt do it and his day off is today. I am off early today and probably will go over and pull it out if service to charge it myself. Any suggestions?

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: Anzir and P85_DA
Curious as to what percentage of battery was left before you had them supercharge it? Seems like you have some anxiety? Was there a previous issue that is bring this on? The only reason I'm chiming in is because my X is in for service (they disables my mobile access) but I'm assuming they'll take care of my car and keep the charge within normal parameters and wouldn't let it drain lower than 20%. Shouldn't that be the case with you? To each there own but just trying to understand the reason for the anxiety? Thx!

Curious as to what percentage of battery was left before you had them supercharge it? Seems like you have some anxiety? Was there a previous issue that is bring this on? The only reason I'm chiming in is because my X is in for service (they disables my mobile access) but I'm assuming they'll take care of my car and keep the charge within normal parameters and wouldn't let it drain lower than 20%. Shouldn't that be the case with you? To each there own but just trying to understand the reason for the anxiety? Thx!

If ur mobile access is off than your car is being worked on .OP issue was his car was sitting in parking lot not in shop ..ur car will be fine as they will maintain charge in the work bay

Reactions: puhiniho
Really? I thought every single Tesla authorized body shop has a wall charger or at least a mobile charger.

My experience:
1. Car in/out SC/Shop for 40 days. They charged the car when it dropped to 20 miles.
2. Charged my car at 40 miles.

I probably do have some over the top anxiety about the battery charge issue, but like the engine is the life blood of an ICE car, the battery is the same for an EV. According to what I've read (I am not an engineer ) , for longevity of the battery the sweet spot for charge is between 50 and 60% and it really shouldn't be allowed to stay below 20% for too long. Any one with any scientific knowledge please correct me if I am wrong. What got me peeved was seeing it drop daily about 20 miles and my service adviser saying he was going to charge the day I talked to him and not doing it and I had no idea how low he was going to let it go.They have probably dozens of cars in for service at any one time and probably can't mke sure the charge is over 20% on all of them. At that point, I had no idea if he was going to do it or not. That is why I made a run to the SC (only about 20 minutes from my house) By the time I got to charge it it was at about 80/295 range (27%). I charged it to 268/295 (90.8%) It didnt get in to body shop till yesterday with 234/295 (79%). They shut off mobile access which is probably best for my sanity. Hopefully wont be too long till it is done. Thanks for reading.

I had Costa Mesa SC keep both fobs in the car, which they said was the cause of the car losing ~20 miles per day range. For at least 24 hours, it was at lower than 10%, reaching 2 miles before they decided to charge it. (I brought it in on the 23rd of December and, on the 25th, the shop was closed.) I noticed soon after a range drop from ~234 (originally 237) to 220-222. I brought it in twice for the range issue and they tell me all battery cells check out. The last time they said there had been an algorithm change and several customers have complained about range loss. I think it's likely BS, because no one on this forum reports range loss like mine and certainly not after an update. I'm not sure what my next step should be, either.