Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery life changing at home

carlosbuin

Jan 10, 2021
PNW
Hello, we got our model S recently and just realized we can't put a good breaker is our home for 60A charging or even 30A since we are already at the limit. We have been charging at 15A

I wonder if this has any negative effect on battery life, I grew up with the idea that slow charging Li batteries would reduce their lifespan.
Assuming this is true, I trust Tesla engineers are clever and would have designed the car to charge only a subset of batteries instead of all at once in order to avoid this problem.

So... Is slow charging Li batteries actually bad for the battery?
And if so does Tesla actually handle this cleverly?
Or are we "damaging" our car by slowly charging at home?

Ostrichsak

Sep 6, 2018
Colorado, USA
Hello, we got our model S recently and just realized we can't put a good breaker is our home for 60A charging or even 30A since we are already at the limit. We have been charging at 15A

I wonder if this has any negative effect on battery life, I grew up with the idea that slow charging Li batteries would reduce their lifespan.
Assuming this is true, I trust Tesla engineers are clever and would have designed the car to charge only a subset of batteries instead of all at once in order to avoid this problem.

So... Is slow charging Li batteries actually bad for the battery?
And if so does Tesla actually handle this cleverly?
Or are we "damaging" our car by slowly charging at home?

I'm curious where you heard that slow charging a Lithium Ion battery was bad for it. Sounds like someone was trying upsell you on the rapid charger at some point with false information maybe. It's always been widely accepted that slower charging is actually better for most rechargeable battery types than rapid charging. In Tesla's battery chemistry specifically the different is nominal over the lifespan of the car so I wouldn't worry about the topic if were you.

cookie99

Mar 14, 2016
California
aye, its quite the opposite, fast is worst than slow. with that being said, at slow chargers waste alot more energy than fast chargers due to the car needing to run alot of components for the charge but the charge is only at 15A so it will take awhile for it to complete

Reactions: aerodyne

cookie99

Mar 14, 2016
California
Tesla told me I can charge past max if I switch to 110v, it is so slow it will go past my 225miles to 265.

i've heard of this, the charger forgets what the max limit is and will just keep charging. should be ok as long as you remove before it gets to 320 miles, after that the computer will get confused

Lasttoy

Mar 24, 2017
St Augustine, Fl
Mines an antique, 265 was max in 2012. He said if I'm going on long trip unplug from 220v at 225, plug to 110v, it's so little the computer wont stop till it hits 265. He said zero out all trip miles all the time, eats up range. Turn off DRL. Turn AC up to 75 , not 68. The guy said my antique with new more efficient motor and battery should get better range now.

aerodyne

Nov 19, 2018
Los Angeles
Several reasons to never charge to 100% on a older 60-85 pack unless you have a need to:

You loose any regen.

Pumps and fans will come on and contribute to vampire drain.

Both the above will reduce range.

• Informative
Reactions: Missile Toad

Gridlok

Sep 20, 2017
Gibsons B.C.
Yeah, I think I can charge up to around 75% before all the pumps and fans start. Usually that's fine. I have mainly used a 15A/110V plug for nearly 4 years. Also have to prewarm here in cooler weather before you get any regen!

aerodyne

Nov 19, 2018
Los Angeles
Yeah, I think I can charge up to around 75% before all the pumps and fans start. Usually that's fine. I have mainly used a 15A/110V plug for nearly 4 years. Also have to prewarm here in cooler weather before you get any regen!
Unless you do the work yourself with existing wire, take years for the increased efficiency of Level 2 240V install to pay off.

Might consider going to 20A via NEMA 5-20 outlet if the wire is big enough, to help warm the car a wee bit faster.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC