Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery life seems way off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, I am new to the forum and just picked up my Model 3 4 days ago. I am thrilled with the car but am experiencing one major issue. I have the AWD long range model and have noticed that the battery drains far more than expected. I was not too concerned as I just assumed that I was getting used to things but I just left for my trip from DC to Richmond on a 98% charge and at a total of 91 miles arrived at 50% battery??? Am I missing something? I am still in my 7 day trial period so what do you all recommend I do? Much thanks for any and all help.

Hello all, I am new to the forum and just picked up my Model 3 4 days ago. I am thrilled with the car but am experiencing one major issue. I have the AWD long range model and have noticed that the battery drains far more than expected. I was not too concerned as I just assumed that I was getting used to things but I just left for my trip from DC to Richmond on a 98% charge and at a total of 91 miles arrived at 50% battery??? Am I missing something? I am still in my 7 day trial period so what do you all recommend I do? Much thanks for any and all help.

Make sure you have regen set to standard. The low setting wastes energy whenever you brake. Beyond that, it’s all about driving efficiently and climate control usage.

I do the same drive all the time in my LR RWD 3. You’re fine. Reduce the speed down to 65 if you want to get better range otherwise plan on a short Supercharger stop on the way home. You can also set the Autopilot distance to 3 or 4 and stay behind a truck. This significantly increases range.

Miles, 91 traveled and down to 50% battery (I think that is what you are asking)

Asking for your Wh/mi. I've used 291 Wh/mi so far on my trip from Houston to central Wisconsin in my LR RWD 3:

950F92AE-FE96-47CE-9365-A0BD24D32EB0.jpeg

I took the same trip over the summer and used 243 Wh/mi:
4817E605-CDE0-4D11-A4B6-3144D65D9DE2.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: Runt8
Thank you for the feedback. I assumed a small drop in cold climate but 30% seems very excessive? I can get used to it if that is the way but still very unexpected.

Have you read any of this?

Tesla Official Statement on Range

ps. I am virtually certain there is absolutely nothing wrong with your car. Your usage is likely coming from 3 things:

1. New owner, getting used to car (and teslas are fun to drive a bit faster)
2. Speed on highway during travel
3. Heating use on your trip.

Stopped by Tesla and found out most of the issue is not having the braking set correctly ....like I said, just got the car.

Thats not going to be "most" of your issue. That will be a bit of your issue (using standard regen vs low regen). That will make a difference but it wont make enough for you not experience the difference in range and miles traveled you think it will.

In order to get your rated range, you will need that Wh/mi number to be somewhere around 240, which you almost assuredly will not be able to get in a LR AWD car during the winter.

The link I provided a couple posts ago are teslas official statements about range, and what effects it, and are something every single new owner should read at least once, but like a couple times.

On winter trips the energy can be very high initially as the cabin is warmed then once warm it takes less to maintain this is sometimes called a departure tax.

With a very short drive and truly cold temps energy use can double at first, but then the longer the trip the less that impacts total trip consumption.

I have also noticed, after a year and a half, that when it's cold (the magic number seems to be 52 degrees) and the dots start appearing, my energy consumption goes way up because regen is limited. There's really nothing I can do about it unless I charge right before I leave.

I agree with the others too - if you're a new owner you're probably having too much fun.

Stopped by Tesla and found out most of the issue is not having the braking set correctly ....like I said, just got the car.

I don’t know why Tesla allows the low regen setting to apply for more than one drive cycle. It has some usefulness in slippery conditions, but using it everyday just wastes energy and reduces range.

I don’t know why Tesla allows the low regen setting to apply for more than one drive cycle. It has some usefulness in slippery conditions, but using it everyday just wastes energy and reduces range.

In my opinion, this is because standard regen feels "different" to new tesla owners. You can make a tesla feel pretty much like an ICE car (a fast one) from a driving perspective, by enabling creep (if that setting is still called creep) , so that the car moves forward when you take your foot off the brake pedal, and having low regen.

Unless something is truly a safety setting, I am not a fan at ALL of settings that a person would set one way, reverting to some other setting for the next drive. If a person sets something one way, it should stay that way (whatever it is) until they change it, unless its something that truly impacts safety, and standard regen vs low doesnt fit that criteria at all.

Dont get me wrong, I use standard regen, and have, since day 2 of having my car....but my wifes settings for our tesla are chill mode on, regen low, creep on... so that the few times she drives it, it feels "normal" to her as she hardly ever drives it. The loss of energy on regen means less to me than her ability to feel comfortable driving it.

Reactions: FairWeatherFan
Thank you for the feedback. I assumed a small drop in cold climate but 30% seems very excessive? I can get used to it if that is the way but still very unexpected.
Yesterday is was -12F I used 43% and went ~35 miles, in our LR AWD. It’s the heater. If you want less usage (more range) turn the heat down to 60-62F, if you don’t care like me and want to be warm with windows that aren’t frozen keep it 68-70F. Also if you want more range (less usage) keep it <60 mph. As per regen, if there is snow or ice keep it on low, dry roads normal is good.