Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery life while not driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much does the battery get depleted sitting in the car and listening to music with the air conditioning on and my phone plugged in getting charged? Is the depletion obvious?

I did an experiment and you would lose about 5 rated miles per hour for running A/C while your car is stationary.:

As mblakele indicated, I think additional energy consumption from other accessories like lights, stereos, cell phone... would be negligible comparing to A/C.

USB charging is 5W, so you'd need to charge a phone for 60 hours to use 300W, which is about 1 rated mile.
The aircon is probably about 1000W (depending on inside/outside temp gradient), so about 3 miles per hour.

How much does the battery get depleted sitting in the car and listening to music with the air conditioning on and my phone plugged in getting charged? Is the depletion obvious?

Check Bjorn Nyland's awesome videos on youtube. He has a lot of info about how much you use by staying in the car - both warm and cold weather.

How much the AC has to work depends on the outside temp and what you have it set to. In typical Los Angeles heat, my car usually uses about 1.5-2 kW when not driving but it's still on. There is is about 70-90 kWh of usable energy in the Model S (depending on battery size). That roughly gives you between 35 to 60 hours before the battery is down.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele