TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Battery life while not driving

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by BillYard, May 21, 2017.

1. BillYard

BillYard Member

How much does the battery get depleted sitting in the car and listening to music with the air conditioning on and my phone plugged in getting charged? Is the depletion obvious?

2. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

Not a lot, and not really. I'd expect something around 1 RM/hr, maybe 2, mostly from the AC. The draw from USB is negligible. I'm not sure about the stereo, but its fuse seems to be rated 20A.

• Like x 1
  3. Tam

Tam Active Member

I did an experiment and you would lose about 5 rated miles per hour for running A/C while your car is stationary.:

As mblakele indicated, I think additional energy consumption from other accessories like lights, stereos, cell phone... would be negligible comparing to A/C.

• Like x 2
  4. JasJ

JasJ Member

Lost 4 rated miles in an hour sitting in 93 degrees with A/C on 72 last weekend in Enchanted Rock, Texas. Tarmac was probably 100++ based on what the hiking felt like. Also had radio on and charging phone.

5. tpham07

tpham07 Member

12v accessory power is negligible. Like we're talking miliwatt range, nowhere close to even 1 Kwh.

A/C on the other hand, i hung out in my car for ~2 hours outside waiting for someone and lost 3 rated miles.

6. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

USB charging is 5W, so you'd need to charge a phone for 60 hours to use 300W, which is about 1 rated mile.
    The aircon is probably about 1000W (depending on inside/outside temp gradient), so about 3 miles per hour.

7. svp6

svp6 Member

Check Bjorn Nyland's awesome videos on youtube. He has a lot of info about how much you use by staying in the car - both warm and cold weather.

8. David99

David99 Active Member

How much the AC has to work depends on the outside temp and what you have it set to. In typical Los Angeles heat, my car usually uses about 1.5-2 kW when not driving but it's still on. There is is about 70-90 kWh of usable energy in the Model S (depending on battery size). That roughly gives you between 35 to 60 hours before the battery is down.

• Informative x 1