Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BATTERY LOSING MILEAGE OVERNIGHT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is my battery losing mileage overnight about 10-20 minutes even without my security surveillance off? Is this normal

Your car is a computer that is always on even when you think you turn it off completely so you should expect energy drain.

Prior to energy hog of Sentry Mode, the manual says you should expect about 1% loss per day. I wouldn't be surprised if more now.

Beside energy loss from electronics, your battery needs HVAC to standby at all times. Your battery can turn on HVAC to cool or heat its battery at any time too.

Why is my battery losing mileage overnight about 10-20 minutes even without my security surveillance off? Is this normal

Did you mean 10-20 miles? not percent right? did you mean "Sentry Mode" by "security surveillance", or the alarm?
I also assume you meant "with it off", not "without it off?

If your car is connecting to wifi weakly it could be slow to download an update for the firmware or maps. This would cause it to stay awake longer at night instead of sleeping.
If you got randomly selected as lucky winner in the "contribute some of your driving data to Tesla" sweepstakes, then your car will also spend a lot of time awake sending that data to the mothership.

The more the car stays awake, the more it burns the battery overnight. It's like you, if you wake up a lot during the night, or browse the web all night, you'll be tired in the morning :)

The battery can turn on HVAC to cool or heat its battery at any time too. Thats also burning mileage. i can hear something going on. interesting. Hope they will come with up a better process. Wish they made solar as a backup.

If you used AC on your drive, the car can turn the fan on for a few minutes after you park to clear out condensation from the system to try and avoid the mildew smell issue that's common with AC. You could also be hearing this. Especially if it's shortly after a drive and not randomly at some other point in time ... if you've parked in the sun and it's getting hot it can cool the battery, but it needs to be really hot.

It can also be Cabin Overheat Protection (COP) if you have that set to 'on' or 'no A/C' then it will run AC or fan-only to keep the car from getting so hot when parked that it could kill kids accidentally left in the car.

It's like 40C or 104-105F it inside temp it tries to stay below.

Seems excessive, but you're in Hawaii. Stats shows that the mode average phantom drain is 0.25m/hr, but the tail on the distribution can run all the way out to 1m/hr, so there are people who seem to lose 20+ miles of range in a day. I'd try to run a few tests. Turn everything off at home, if your car is out of direct sunlight, does it need to have overheat protection running?