Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery loss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just bought a Model Y a few weeks ago. Im currently away on vacation so I have my Tesla plugged in back home and set to charge at 55%. It is currently 40-50F degrees daily and i noticed that in 3 days it the charge dropped from 80% to 59%. The car is off and not using any power except for sentry mode. Is this battery loss normal?

Sentry Mode is well documented to use ~ 1 mile/hour of energy. Thus, in 3 days Sentry Mode likely consumed ~ 72 miles of range. You didn't tell us which Model Y you have (SR, LR, or P), so we can't fully answer your question. However, with you checking in on your phone (waking the computer back up) and sentry mode running 24/7, that sounds very normal.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
No climate control is not on. I do check the app twice a day and keep sentry mode on. Anything else that can be causing the rapid battery loss?

There isnt any other explanation needed except for sentry mode. Sentry mode uses between 1-2 miles an HOUR, so between 24-48 miles per DAY. 3 days of usage of 24 / 7 sentry mode would be between 72 and 144 miles of range. Yes, with sentry mode on 24/7, losing 20% of your cars range is completely, utterly normal and expected.

Sentry mode is a "bolt on" thing that was not designed into the car from the beginning, and keeps the car from going to sleep. It will continue to use that much power every day until you hit 20%.

Can I get some thoughts on my MY SR battery loss please?

Today I drove to work and arrived with 60% charge at around 9:30am. I parked outside in the Florida sun, but the outside temperature didn’t go higher than 82*F. I checked the car via the Tesla app several times and noted it had to wake up the car. I saw the interior temp at 92* during one check via the app. When I returned to the car at 5:45pm it was at 55%.

I’m disappointed that it lost that much charge and actually think it shouldn’t have. I don’t have FSD. Is this loss normal? What can I do to reduce it?

Thanks

Update: Today I worked the same hours, but was able to park on a lower level of the parking garage. So no direct sun on my car and the ambient temperature was the same. It was a bit more cloudy, but not overcast. I didn't check the Tesla app at all.

Parked with 52% and got in the car to find it at 52%! 😄😄👍🏻👍🏻

Now, I need to know if letting the computer components in the cabin sit in temperatures well over a 100* is bad for them? I can’t imagine it’s good for them. I checked the car a week ago and saw the temp at 142*!! I thought it was a fluke and ignored it, but it may have been real.

Starting next week I will not be able to park in the parking garage. I will be parking out under the Summer Florida sun. Do I dare use the COP without AC? How much is the sunroof insert? I will not use a cover as thunderstorms will tear it apart and then slap it against it. Any thoughts?

Thanks

There are soooooo many good posts on this subject you should just take the time to read them - do a simple search. I'm not dismissing your question I just doubt the previous posters will take the time to rehash all the best info they've already detailed ad nauseam. Seriously, search is your friend!

There are soooooo many good posts on this subject you should just take the time to read them - do a simple search. I'm not dismissing your question I just doubt the previous posters will take the time to rehash all the best info they've already detailed ad nauseam. Seriously, search is your friend!
I will search again. When I started I was only looking for info on battery loss. Now that I have an idea of what to look for my search will be more specific.