Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery lost 8% overnight sitting in the cold

Jul 29, 2020
San Francisco
My model Y battery has never lost charge sitting for hours or even days.
Then on a recent trip I charged at a supercharger to 85%, drove 1 mile, and it sat in the cold overnight. Around 30 degrees F.
Next morning, it's 76%. Hmm....
Next night, same thing. Lost about 8% sitting overnight.
Climate was not on.
Anybody have similar experience in cold? Or is something going wrong with my battery?
Will see if it happens again in warmer temps....

FatherTo1

Mar 7, 2019
California
This is absolutely normal. Cold weather affects battery performance. If you moved the car into a warmer enclosure then you would see the percent climb back up. Cold weather affects the chemistry and reduces range and this is what you're observing. Even in my garage I've seen battery percent increase from the cold morning to warmer afternoon without any charging. It is like your own muscles, they don't work as well in near freezing temps until the body warms up.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC