Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Makers - September 2014 YTD Market Share

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obviously does not include lead acid 12v batteries for ICEv.

... and BEVs, too.

Whenever I hear the "but what about all the heavy metals and toxic materials in those EV batteries?" canard I'm quick to point out the only such things are in the 12v lead-acid batteries in _all_ of our cars.

Amazing how many people hear "battery" electric vehicle and assume that means vastly more lead and sulfuric acid.

Batteries for BEVs PHEVs and HEVs.

Obviously does not include lead acid 12v batteries for ICEv.

its only BEVs and PHEVs (otherwise Panasonic would be much larger)

note, that Tesla's growth is only par for the sector, ie the xEV sector sector is growing at the same pace as Tesla.

also note growth from GS Yuasa and BYD, both represent vehicles not on USA investors radar.

also both Pansonic (Tesla) and AESC (Nissan) are at Gigascale.

It includes BEV PHEV and HEV.

HEV have much smaller capacity.

The Prius C has less than 1 kWh of capacity.

Yes, but other Toyota/Lexus hybrids have 1.7kWh NiMH batteries and just US sales of those other NiMH hybrids from September accounts for 27.6MWh of battery capacity.
In Japan Toyota sold 132k cars a significant percentage of which would be hybrids, although a higher proportion of Prius aqua (c) and they also have the Prius alpha which uses a lithium battery.
In Europe, sales numbers of smaller but there they also have the Auris hybrid (liftback battery) and Yaris hybrid (c size battery)

Given Toyota has been selling over 1M hybrids per year, I'd be interested in knowing just how much they manufactured last month at their 99%-owned NiMH plant.

Yes, but other Toyota/Lexus hybrids have 1.7kWh NiMH batteries and just US sales of those other NiMH hybrids from September accounts for 27.6MWh of battery capacity.
In Japan Toyota sold 132k cars a significant percentage of which would be hybrids, although a higher proportion of Prius aqua (c) and they also have the Prius alpha which uses a lithium battery.
In Europe, sales numbers of smaller but there they also have the Auris hybrid (liftback battery) and Yaris hybrid (c size battery)

Given Toyota has been selling over 1M hybrids per year, I'd be interested in knowing just how much they manufactured last month at their 99%-owned NiMH plant.

Sales of hybrids are down this year. Unlike BEVs they correlate with the movement in gasoline prices. Example Prius sales down 17% this year in the US through Sept.

The chart above are for sales through Sep. not for the full year.

Sales of hybrids are down this year. Unlike BEVs they correlate with the movement in gasoline prices. Example Prius sales down 17% this year in the US through Sept.

The chart above are for sales through Sep. not for the full year.

I understand that, but last year Toyota sold 1.29M hybrids worldwide during the year. If the US fall was matched globally you'd still have have 800k hybrid sales through September. Some are lithium-based PiP and Prius alpha/+, but the clear majority of sales are NiMH. If you said 50/50 split, c/liftback size that'd give you 1.3kWh/car. 800k x 1.3kWh = 1040MWh. Toyota owns at least 80% of Primearth, their former joint venture with Panasonic, because Panasonic sold almost over 2/3 of their share when they bought Sanyo. My understanding was that they made the NiMH cells, so that would still make them a large producer of battery capacity, although they'll quickly be dwarfed as plug-ins increase.