Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Management System (BMS) Bootloader Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm interested in this too. I'm 1200km's from my nearest SC in Montreal and as this update need to be done at the SC (as it bricks the car if interrupted apparently) I'll not be getting it installed any time in the foreseeable future.

I've read that VIN's up to 43k are getting the update, so i'm wondering if this will have long term repercussions for folks like me who are a long way from SC's with no ranger service.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
this was just updated on my car last week when it was at the svc ... not sure if this will be available as an ota update

Never. Bootloader fixes are fairly risky compared to an OTA especially if they get interrupted at the wrong time. As a software engineer, I agree with their assessment that they need it there if possible so that they can confirm it went through properly and take action if it didn't.

Sucks for people far from SC but the risk is real. No discernible difference in UI or driving dynamics after.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: dek526
Never. Bootloader fixes are fairly risky compared to an OTA especially if they get interrupted at the wrong time. As a software engineer, I agree with their assessment that they need it there if possible so that they can confirm it went through properly and take action if it didn't.
How about a Ranger with a UPS and backup battery ?

It will be interesting to see if this update affects vampire drains.

Sucks for people far from SC but the risk is real. No discernible difference in UI or driving dynamics after.

I didn't notice any differences in the UI or driving dynamics afterwards. the biggest difference was the update to the 2018.26 which I requested to load

I’m wondering if this will be part of some recall to get the affected Model 3’s in to update the BMS bootloader? It’d be nice to know just how critical of an update this is. I don’t have any issues with my Model 3 at the moment and I can’t foresee and reason to bring it in for service anytime in the near future, so who knows when my Model 3 will get this update or if it even needs it.

There’s a thread on reddit about some update for the Model 3 Battery Management System (BMS) bootloader: r/teslamotors - Tesla Model 3 Recall - Battery Management System (BMS)

I haven’t seen any mention of it here. Anyone have this done to their Model 3? If so what is your VIN range and when did you take delivery?

FWIW I got BMS bootloader update as part of SF SC visit. They also upgraded FW to 26.1 from 24.1 My M#3 was June build with 48xxx VIN "first production trim".

Took it in to have them check on vampire drain (0.4 miles/hr overnight in a 60-70 F garage with no monitoring apps), Brake light warning, and low washer fluid warning.

Service doc says they updated the BMS bootloader. Not sure if it was that or the FW update, but Vampire drain is now about 0.08 miles / hour and the Brake and Washer Fluid faults don't come on......

FWIW I got BMS bootloader update as part of SF SC visit. They also upgraded FW to 26.1 from 24.1 My M#3 was June build with 48xxx VIN "first production trim".

Took it in to have them check on vampire drain (0.4 miles/hr overnight in a 60-70 F garage with no monitoring apps), Brake light warning, and low washer fluid warning.

Service doc says they updated the BMS bootloader. Not sure if it was that or the FW update, but Vampire drain is now about 0.08 miles / hour and the Brake and Washer Fluid faults don't come on......

It's both or just the FW. I'm on FW 24.8 with BMS update and still have the brake + windshield issue. I never monitored the drain so I can't tell you about that.

It's both or just the FW. I'm on FW 24.8 with BMS update and still have the brake + windshield issue. I never monitored the drain so I can't tell you about that.

someone in one of the reddit posts says the next version .28(?) will address the brake fluid issue but the .26 does not. but there is a thread here that claims it did fix it.

EDIT: found the post
It is a firmware bug, the expected fix is actually in 2018.28, not .26. If you check and both fluids are in fact full, and the alerts self clear after a few minutes of driving, this is a firmware bug and there's really no need to go out of your way to bring it in for service.

this with the brakelight issue from .24 which makes me wonder if they're not even gonna deploy .26 fleetwide :eek:

Last edited:
I enquired to Montreal about any issues with me not getting the update as i'm so far from a SC, here is their reply. I read that as it can be done OTA.

"I spoke with our Service team about the BMS update. They will push an update notification to your car today so that you may program it for installation overnight. Tomorrow they will verify your firmware version and confirm that all is OK.

In all transparency I do not know the exact details regarding the nature of the BMS update, but have been told it is minor. You would have no issues driving around without it."

• Informative
Quote from furizu: this with the brakelight issue from .24 which makes me wonder if they're not even gonna deploy .26 fleetwide

I received a notice that I had an update available on Monday. I was out of town for a couple days and when I returned to the car I didn’t have the “alarm clock” symbol like I have seen in the past. I’m thinking that it was decided that I’d be better off waiting for the next update. I’m happy about that since I have zero service visits in 4 months of ownership. I’ll let everyone one else find the problems.

I received a notice that I had an update available on Monday. I was out of town for a couple days and when I returned to the car I didn’t have the “alarm clock” symbol like I have seen in the past. I’m thinking that it was decided that I’d be better off waiting for the next update. I’m happy about that since I have zero service visits in 4 months of ownership. I’ll let everyone one else find the problems.

This happened to me too - I didn’t have time to deal with it when it popped up and now it’s gone completely - no option to update. I assume I now have to wait for the next.

Quote from furizu: this with the brakelight issue from .24 which makes me wonder if they're not even gonna deploy .26 fleetwide

oh i agree. I'd love to get some of these nice new features (summon, cabin protection, wi-fi) but at the same time, I do not want any of the bugs that are getting reported. feels like they keep finding more and more bugs with each update.

Reactions: insaneoctane
I took my Model 3 to the San Diego service center in Miramar to have a small piece of plastic trim fixed, and while I was there I asked them to push 2018.26.x to my car (I was on 2018.24.1 previously). I wanted to take the update to see if it fixed the false positive windshield washer fluid and brake fluid warnings I was getting. After 3 days on the new firmware (I got 2018.26.3), I can report that those issues are fixed but more importantly that I've had ZERO MILES OF VAMPIRE DRAIN overnight!!

• Informative
I was just at the service center this morning to pick up my Model 3 after a windshield replacement ($1,053 ouch!) and I overheard an employee talking about an ongoing "recall" to update the BMS bootloader. From what I heard, it's nothing mechanical but it can't be done via an OTA either so it has to be brought in for service.

• Informative