Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Management System (BMS) Bootloader Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just at the service center this morning to pick up my Model 3 after a windshield replacement ($1,053 ouch!) and I overheard an employee talking about an ongoing "recall" to update the BMS bootloader. From what I heard, it's nothing mechanical but it can't be done via an OTA either so it has to be brought in for service.

I’m wondering if I should call my service center and ask them if my Model 3 needs this update. It would be very helpful to know what issues this particular update fixes.

strangely, I got another prompt (at home) tonight to update the software, even though it was updated exactly 1 week ago (Aug 1). I started it and I'll see if it changes the version# or not. Since the update last week to 2018.26.3 be4b11e, I have observed two main things: (1) I no longer get a low windshield washer fluid warning, and (2) my car used to "wake up" every few hours during the night, now it sleeps all the way through (I check the vehicle status without waking it up every 30 minutes to monitor this), which results in less mileage loss during the night.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
A ranger came out to replace my charge door last week (minor issue -- small metal piece fell off and touch "open button" wouldn't work). He told me a BMS Bootloader update was noted as required for my car, but he was unable to initiate as the update is "geofenced to the service center." He said it wasn't urgent and that I should stop by a service center when I am "in the area" because it only takes a few minutes. I think I'm going to hold out till 9.0 is rolling out so I can try to get them to push that at the same time.

• Informative
ok, software update complete, it went from 2018.26.3 be4b11e to 2018.28.2 e3592d9. I wonder what this will bring me.

This thread is really for discussing the boot loader update for the BMS (battery management system). Apparently this update has to be done by a service center or mobile tech. It will not be included in any OTA update.

• Informative
A ranger came out to replace my charge door last week (minor issue -- small metal piece fell off and touch "open button" wouldn't work). He told me a BMS Bootloader update was noted as required for my car, but he was unable to initiate as the update is "geofenced to the service center." He said it wasn't urgent and that I should stop by a service center when I am "in the area" because it only takes a few minutes. I think I'm going to hold out till 9.0 is rolling out so I can try to get them to push that at the same time.

Interesting if the BMS update is indeed restricted to just the service centers.

Is it likely that said BMS update is already installed on new vehicles? I live kinda far from a Service Center and would rather have them load it while I am there for pickup...

Most likely yes. My guess is that if you've taken delivery in the past 2 weeks then your Model 3 may already have this update. The first mention I saw of this BMS update was a little over 2 weeks ago so one would assume that they started doing this at the factory a little before that. Or if the factory didn't install it then your service center probably applied it during delivery prep. Again this is just wild speculation on my part.

I need to bring my Model 3 in for some paintless dent removal (to remove a dent caused by a wonky door motor in my Model X) and I inquired about having the BMS update done at the same time. According to the SC, the Model 3 already has the update. Since it was a 4/23 delivery (VIN 128XX) that's never been in for service, I assume they're either doing the update OTA or they're simply mistaken.

• Informative
Mine was updated yesterday my my SC appointment. I had told the SC that a couple times lately I've gotten a "systems powering up" message when the car is first turned on. So maybe that has something to do with it. Other than that, I didn't complain of anything that would be related.

• Informative
I should note that vampire drain has been minimal ever since getting my car back. I have no idea if this is because of the 2018.28.1 update I got while in service or the BMS update (which they didn't even mention so I dunno if it was installed). Cabin overheat protection is also enabled, but fan only.

Either way, I'm very happy to see less than a 2 mile drain per day while inactive compared to the 12+ mile drain I used to get before!

Reactions: MissyMcBee
I'd really like to know what this update does. I have a SC apt for Aug 21st for continuing buggy software stuff and I'll request this be completed at the same time. My drain is about 1 mph, sometimes more, and it's getting to be quite annoying. This will be my third service apt in a little over 2 months of ownership. My fan boy level is dropping like a rock. LOL