Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Marriage Residual Torque Measurements - Engineering Study

GolanB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Sep 22, 2018
NYC
I got my Tesla back from the service center today after having some work done, and noticed this:

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 11.03.11 AM.png

Note the Correction (Paint Repair/Refinish) - I wonder if this study required retouching paint - and if so, where?

Does anyone have any idea what this may be about?

• Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte

Zoomit

Sep 1, 2015
SoCal
Looks like they’re verifying, through fleet sampling, if the bolts holding the battery on the car are backing out over time. This shouldn’t need paint repair unless they somehow dinged it inadvertently.

• Informative
Reactions: GolanB

GolanB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Sep 22, 2018
NYC
Likely not dinged. Likely repaint around the bolt for rust proofing?

I tried to get under the car to see, but I don't have an easy way to look -- if I had a selfie stick, I'd run a video under the car with my mobile phone.

I'd imagine that the paint on the bottom is more for rust protection than anything else since we don't really see it.

GolanB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Sep 22, 2018
NYC
Here is a quick video I shot of the underside of the Model 3. It started to rain, so I tried to cover the outer edges in about 30 seconds. Can't really tell much here.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC