Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery message after Ohmmu

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I replaced factory batter in February and today I get the dreaded Schedule service to replace low voltage message??

It’s been fine until today!

Tesla wants me to schedule to have them replace but I just purchased the lithium Ohmmu!!

BTW software updated yesterday if that affects it?

Thanks

Last edited:
Have you tried contacting Ohmmu, and if not, why not? We have several ohmmu threads in the model 3 subforum, and there has been a lot of back and forth on some error message after recent updates. I am sure ohmmu is aware.

You will not want to go to tesla for anything, as they will charge you for replacing the 3rd party battery and put in a standard battery. You chose to go aftermarket here, so you need to either put the OEM battery back in, or go to the aftermarket supplier and discuss your options (like other aftermarket parts).

Have you tried contacting Ohmmu, and if not, why not? We have several ohmmu threads in the model 3 subforum, and there has been a lot of back and forth on some error message after recent updates. I am sure ohmmu is aware.

You will not want to go to tesla for anything, as they will charge you for replacing the 3rd party battery and put in a standard battery. You chose to go aftermarket here, so you need to either put the OEM battery back in, or go to the aftermarket supplier and discuss your options (like other aftermarket parts).
This just happened last night and I sent email to Ohmmu right away.

I do NOT want to go back to stock battery!

FIXED!!!

Ok so I did the hard reset just now and the error message is gone!!

Roll down drivers window.
Turn off climate.
Disconnect negative post.
Remove high voltage loop.
Wait 2 minutes.
Reconnect negative.
Reconnect loop.
Wait for reset…about 5 minutes.

Error message gone and I keep the better lithium ion battery.

FIXED!!!

Turn off climate.
Wait 2 minutes.
Reconnect negative.
Reconnect loop.

I dont know if it will "stay" fixed. I think thats unlikely, actually, if I go by the ohmmu threads in model 3 subforum. You likely want to reach out to ohmmu and talk to them about it.

Reactions: sleepydoc
FIXED!!!

Turn off climate.
Wait 2 minutes.
Reconnect negative.
Reconnect loop.

I thought someone in a different thread said that instead of disconnecting the high voltage loop, the same can be accomplished by changing the wheel size in the display? I thought I remember it saying that when you switched wheel sizes, the system ends up disconnecting the high voltage system and rebooting? I remember coming across that thread when people were talking about how to get rid of that message after replacing the battery

Reactions: israndy
I thought someone in a different thread said that instead of disconnecting the high voltage loop, the same can be accomplished by changing the wheel size in the display? I thought I remember it saying that when you switched wheel sizes, the system ends up disconnecting the high voltage system and rebooting? I remember coming across that thread when people were talking about how to get rid of that message after replacing the battery
How do you do that please?

But I think it was disconnecting the negative terminal which fixed it.

How do you do that please?

But I think it was disconnecting the negative terminal which fixed it.
Go into the service menu, where you can select which wheels you have installed. The aero, inductions, or Ubers. Switch to any of them, and apparently the high voltage system will disengage and the car will reboot. Then when it comes back you switch it back to whatever wheels you actually have..

I'm not sure if disconnecting the 12v battery alone will work because in the thread I was referring, they replaced the 12v battery after getting those warning messages, and we're trying to clear the messages. Apparently people agreed that disconnecting the high voltage loop works, but found this other method was simpler, and supposedly disconnected the high voltage system under the covers.

Reactions: Wesexcellence
if you got your battery in Feb, you probably don’t have the new revision 3 battery from Ohmmu. I got my battery last year and have been dealing with the error message for a few months and they said they would have a new version starting in April. Contact them about the issue and they should offer you the new rev 3 free of charge. Just doing the reset only lasts a few weeks at most. I just replaced mine today with rev 3 and hoping the error doesn’t pop up anymore

if you got your battery in Feb, you probably don’t have the new revision 3 battery from Ohmmu. I got my battery last year and have been dealing with the error message for a few months and they said they would have a new version starting in April. Contact them about the issue and they should offer you the new rev 3 free of charge. Just doing the reset only lasts a few weeks at most. I just replaced mine today with rev 3 and hoping the error doesn’t pop up anymore
How’s it going so far? Just got v3 but have not installed yet. Had not installed the one I got last sept because of repeated errors reported. Was driving around with the box and tools in the frunk waiting for the original 12 volt to die. Aug 2018 Model 3.

How’s it going so far? Just got v3 but have not installed yet. Had not installed the one I got last sept because of repeated errors reported. Was driving around with the box and tools in the frunk waiting for the original 12 volt to die. Aug 2018 Model 3.
Seems to be fine so far. I haven’t found any errors when I look at my error log.

I have a battery monitor hooked up to it and the charging behavior seems to be different from before. The car would go from like 13.4V up to 14.5 volts multiple times within the span of like 5 hours and it seemed to cause some excess HV battery drain. It happens randomly so it’s not happening all the time. If I didn’t have the battery monitor I probably wouldn’t even notice it happening so I’m not sure what to make of it yet 🤷‍♂️

So, I was just getting minor messages in the notification logs on the service screen (Ohmmu V3, Version 2022.12.3.20 FSD beta).

On July 5th, I started on a trip from So. MD to Myrtle Beach. Supercharged a few times on the way down. During my stay, I did not plug in anywhere. Every couple of days I would just Supercharge in Myrtle Beach. Stayed for about 1 week, no problems. Drove back, Supercharging again several times. No problems. Pull into my garage at home, plug in using my mobile connector (14-50), and about 1-2 hours later I get the replace low voltage battery warning on the main screen (1st time).

Gonna reset this, but wondering if anyone else on V3 has had this come up again?

I got the low voltage warning on my road trip around 350 miles in. First time that happened. I’m not positive I’m on v3 as I got it in March (B19-R).

I had to do the following:
  1. Open drivers door, roll down window
  2. Pop frunk
  3. Power off on screen under Car icon, Safety I think then “Power off”
  4. Remove lid in frunk, remove my big Air filter
  5. Disconnect the high voltage feed
  6. Pull the negative lead for 30 secs, reconnect
  7. Wait 5 mins, then re-connect high voltage
  8. Put it back together.
So far message gone but may come back. Didn’t seem to do anything else to the car.

First time it happened to me, but I remember seeing others state they had the issue.

That info had a slightly different procedure but I see a few different ones floating around.

I added a small took setup to take with me now. T27, T30 Torx, 10mm, small hand ratchet and a wheel cap puller.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3PHASE
I got the low voltage warning on my road trip around 350 miles in. First time that happened. I’m not positive I’m on v3 as I got it in March (B19-R).

I had to do the following:
  1. Open drivers door, roll down window
  2. Pop frunk
  3. Power off on screen under Car icon, Safety I think then “Power off”
  4. Remove lid in frunk, remove my big Air filter
  5. Disconnect the high voltage feed
  6. Pull the negative lead for 30 secs, reconnect
  7. Wait 5 mins, then re-connect high voltage
  8. Put it back together.
So far message gone but may come back. Didn’t seem to do anything else to the car.

First time it happened to me, but I remember seeing others state they had the issue.

That info had a slightly different procedure but I see a few different ones floating around.

I added a small took setup to take with me now. T27, T30 Torx, 10mm, small hand ratchet and a wheel cap puller.

After you reconnected the 12 volt, did the main screen come back on before you connected the high voltage connector? I just reset mine this morning.

Another question is, if you don't do the reset, is the software update the only thing that doesn't work? Might it reduce power to things like exterior lights?

Did the message come up while you were driving? Mine has only happened when parked and charging using the mobile connecter (14-50).

After you reconnected the 12 volt, did the main screen come back on before you connected the high voltage connector? I just reset mine this morning.

Another question is, if you don't do the reset, is the software update the only thing that doesn't work? Might it reduce power to things like exterior lights?

Did the message come up while you were driving? Mine has only happened when parked and charging using the mobile connecter (14-50).
I still seemed to be ok minus software updates. It did it again in the way home. Far as I could tell my SSD still had power and cams were on.

I went thru a quicker reset process with ohmmu docs on the issue but it’s a bit irritating getting to the battery so if this keeps happening it may be easier with a battery disconnect switch to save some time.

I stared having failures with the V3 battery a little over a month ago, reached out to Ohmmu back then (via support ticket) but haven't heard back yet. Has anyone been able to reach them?

Also noticed that, as of last month, Model 3/Y battery offerings are once again pulled from the website (not on homepage, showing as Out of Stock as happened back in January...)

Hope the petition didn't piss off Tesla/trigger some sort of retribution... regardless I can see how Tesla might be leaning in to getting smarter with its lead-acid battery modeling to try and avoid premature failure and stranded vehicles/warranty replacements, and as a consequence triggering more (false) failures when the Ohmmu chemistry doesn't behave exactly like a healthy lead-acid would otherwise behave...

I haven’t heard back either. I just had to reset again while it was charging. 110 mile drive and it was eventless. Went off in the garage a few percent from completion. Guess it’s unknown if the petition had any effect and the voltage drop just trips it. It stops charging too.

+1

I am inclined to think this will work. 2018 Model S. I seemed to have drained the lead acid battery, not thinking about its charge status. My bad! I changed the wheel size, and boom, the HV contactor disconnects, and my car is dead. Not enough 12v to reboot the system. Had to jump start it to get it to reload.