TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Battery not charging properly

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by YusufT, Sep 3, 2018.

1. YusufT

YusufT Member

So before my Model 3 charged to what ever limit I set it to. I dropped the car off at a paint shop to get delivery issues fixed, and they had it for a week and a half. Since the day I picked up my car my battery has been acting up with charging.

Before when I set the limit to 90% for example, it would charge to 449/450km which is correct. Now, once it’s finished charging on the notification it would say the correct battery charge but when I get in the car it would be much lower like 430. This happens for any limit I set the car to and I’ve been charging daily for the past week I’ve had the car. I don’t know what’s going on.

2. sreams

sreams Member

It tends to be difficult to set the limit to exactly 90% using the car's screen or the app. It doesn't seem to easily "snap" to those percentages. You might try doing a 100% charge once and see what happens (preferably just before a longer drive).

3. dano9258

dano9258 Member

How long between the end of charging and getting in your car? You might have vampire drainage.

4. YusufT

YusufT Member

Like 3 hours after it’s done charging so I doubt it’s vampire. And I’m setting it to correct percentages

5. AltLogic

AltLogic Member

I would do a reset then open and close all doors and trunks to make sure they are fully closed. Also check if cabin overheat protection is on.

6. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

During one of the recent updated Tesla did change the calculations a little. I remember reading about it. It’s been my experience too. It use to charge to 279 or something like that and now it charges to 274 at the same % setting I have set.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

Are you setting the limit by the phone app or in the car ?
    Is there a difference ?

8. YusufT

YusufT Member

Yeah it’s the exact same settings as before I dropped the car off except for the software version. It’s also cooler now than it was almost 2 weeks ago.

Yeah that’s what’s happening to me. What gives? I think it may be the update. 90% before update was 450km, now it’s 435km. But the app gives me a notificiation once charging is complete and it says 450km on it only for me to enter the cat 2-3 hours later and it saud 435.

Setting it through the car

9. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

10. YusufT

YusufT Member

Thanks for the thread. So it’s almost guranteed to be a software issue? So only select few is having this problem? This is so odd.

11. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

I’m not sure. Maybe others are not so sensitive. Or OCD as us few that notice a few mile difference.