TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Battery on 2016 p90d

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by alsarsur, Jul 7, 2018.

1. alsarsur

alsarsur Member

Hi All,

I have a p90d 2016 with approx 5500 miles and have noticed that since I have started driving lately and charging more often my charge at 90% has gone from 241 to 239 in matter of a few charges.

Is this normal?
    How much more will this occur?

Thanks for the insight.

2. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Active Member

mine lost 10 miles in 12,000 miles before the battery cried out for service. by 5,000 miles it went from 242 to 235 at 90%.

3. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

A two mile variation in rated miles at a less than 100% state of charge observed over a few charges is completely within the noise. Nothing to see here.

• Helpful x 1
  4. mblakele

mblakele (つ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)つ

Right, and this is one reason why I prefer the percent display. Even with the percent display, temperature changes can swing it a point or two. That's several RM, which gives us an idea of how accurate the state of charge estimate isn't.

Accuracy aside, some degradation is normal and expected. As near as I can figure, by about 20,000 miles my 2016 pre-facelift 90D had lost 3-5% of its rated range, or about 10-15 RM. It's still in that same range now, with almost twice as many miles driven. That seems to be consistent with reports from other 90-pack owners, barring a few outliers. Most packs seem to lose capacity relatively quickly in the first year or two, then more slowly as time goes on. But this is an area where we have more anecdotes than data.

So if I were @alsarsur I wouldn't worry about it.

5. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

It’s normal. My 90D battery (X) charges to 244 rated miles after 30k miles. Originally it was 257.

6. Ames

Ames Member

My 2015.12 P90D charges to 210 at 90% miles last time I checked - which was a few months back. I'm on 41,000 miles. To the OP: could be worse...the first time I supercharged mine I got 236 - so you're doing great!