TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Battery Option Question

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Ocean Archer, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Ocean Archer

Ocean Archer Member

If I get the 40 kWh battery, will it be able to charge at the same rate as the 85 kWh battery? -- assuming same charging equipment and same outlet.

2. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

You will be able to charge at the same rates as the other batteries. You will not be able to use a 'Supercharger' which is a 90kW high voltage DC charging station. At home, at a RV park, at work, at any AC charging station you can charge the same rate as the other packs.

3. Ocean Archer

Ocean Archer Member

good to know. Thanks for the fast response!

4. Zextraterrestrial

10kW with 1 charger ~ 32 mi / hr charge at max
    or
    2okW with the 2 chargers ~ 62 mi/hr which seems unnecessary for a 4okWhr battery especially if it is a city car

5. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

Something about this post made me realize that a base Model S could be fully charged off AC in about 3-4 hours. That seems quite reasonable. For some reason putting it this way just sounds better to me .....

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

CAVEAT: only with the equivalent on-board chargers. See *Zextra's* post above.