TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Battery Pack becomes slightly out of balance overnight?

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by sethr, Aug 7, 2015.

1. sethr

sethr CPO Roadster #1089

Hi all: I wonder if anyone can shed light on what I have noticed recently (I've never checked this before the last couple of days). After a Standard charge at the end of the day, my pack balances in a short time, usually in about 10 - 15 minutes. But recently, when I was checking on the pack temperature in the morning, I saw that the balancing grid had a few "1's". It rebalanced in minutes (I assume because I had woken the Roadster up: the pump had not been on), but I'm wondering if this is normal, or the beginning of a problem? TIA!

2. spaceballs

spaceballs Member

That is normal.

3. BartJ

BartJ Member

Personally I have never seen any 1's in the balancing grid at all

4. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

You need to catch them during a balancing cycle, directly after completing a Standard or Range charge. They're cleared out when you start the car.

5. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I've never seen my car "re-balance" after it finishes balancing. Maybe I've missed it. If you top-off the charge it will enter a balancing stage afterwards. But I've never seen it start balancing just because it woke up.

6. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

Check the min and max brick voltages. Balancing will start after a few minutes after the key is turned off (or when you awaken it) when the SOC is 79% or greater, and the difference between the high and low voltages is >.02V. Balancing only occurs while awake. If your pack is out of balance, you can turn on the hazard flashers to keep the car awake until the pack is balanced. A few "1's" are good. If you see 98, then you have a problem.